Thread: Maybe a tip for aging eyes

Maybe a tip for aging eyes

I just thought of this---I should have posted this before.

As I have gotten older my eyesight has suffered and I now have to wear bifocals.

That has presented a problem for me when shooting any long gun without a scope. While almost all of my guns have scopes on them (even one pistol) I still have two long guns that I shoot regularly that do not.

One is a pump slug gun the other is a 22 bolt action with a tubular magazine.
    The slug gun did have a scope on it but that was a bad joke and I took it off. The regular iron sights didn't work since I could not focus on the rear sight.
    I changed to sights that have fiber optic dots. One on the front sight and one each side of the groove on the rear. I can see the dots

The other is my 22---it is old, not pretty but dependable---a lot like me
    It has a Lyman peep sight on it---a thing of the past---but it works perfectly since all I have to do is look through the peephole---no focus needed.
    I could not count all the squirrels that old friend has sent to the pot or pie. (only one today---it was a slow day)

It is perfect out to about 70 yards---then the front sight begins to cover a squirrel---and it just gets worse from there on out.

So---if iron sights are giving you a problem---think about some older "technology"
    Last edited by Dave Grubb; 12-28-2015 at 10:37 PM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

My recently acquired Colt AR-15 has a peep rear sight (also known as an aperture sight)...As for the fiber optics, I sold a large number of Tru-Glos for handguns and shotguns while in business, and they truly are a Godsend for aging eyes......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

As I recall all the rifles I had in the Army---beginning with the M-1 had peep sights on them.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

even my bow has LED sighting

"The only thing that we learn from torture is the depths of our own moral depravity"

My cross bow has a similar sight on it. That works well for me also.

...and on another note---I'm happy to report that as of about 2 hours ago---number two is ready for the stew

On a down note for the peep sight

They don't work in poor light

I had an opossum in one of the bird feeders Saturday night and I could not see the aperture on the peep sight----no light came through

So----I grabbed another 22 with a scope---and sent him on to the big feeder in the sky