Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 1911 a1

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Very cool to have grandpa's pistol and even cooler with the original docs.
    Very cool indeed...I still have the only two guns my Dad ever owned, one of which I bought new for him for Christmas in the 80's, and the other one his Remington .22 rifle that he used to teach my brother and I to shoot...I also have his military papers from WWII showing he qualified as expert with both pistol and rifle (something he never told me about)......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

I have both my father's and grandfather's Winchester Model 12 shotguns. I had my father's restored for him while he was still alive---I could kick my own a** now
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Grubb View Post
    I had my father's restored for him while he was still alive---I could kick my own a** now
    Original is good...Sometimes functionality takes precedence...I've had my Dad's revolver (the one I bought him) back in my possession since he died 31 years ago...It's a Model 37 Airweight S&W...It's unusual in that it's a 3" (as opposed to the more common 1 7/8") and it's blued not matte, plus it's a square butt when everyone else liked the round butt...Dad didn't think the grip was comfortable so I bought him a pair of Pachmayrs which he liked...I probably traded away the walnut grips to someone else, but lately I got the hankering to carry it myself...

It's only had one shot fired from it since it left the factory, and that was Dad...When I fished it out of the safe last month I knew I couldn't be happy with the Pachmayrs, so I went looking at the Conroe gun show (that's the one you missed, Mike)...I got lucky and found the elephants' graveyard of old S&W grips on a table and made a deal on a pair of pristine laminated rosewood with S&W medallions...The Pachmayrs were hardened and almost welded to the frame, but I got them off with a little work with a screwdriver, and on went the new...And they feel great...

Next I needed a holster...Turns out holsters for 3" J-frames are about as hard to find as square butt grips...But I got lucky in just trying a few oddball holsters on another table...This one was an unused leather strongside holster with thumbsnap that was made for the Bond Arms .410 derringers...It was a perfect fit for the J-frame and the the dealer was happy to strike a bargain just to get rid of it...So Dad's revolver is now in my regular carry rotation loaded with standard velocity Hornady XTP's...

Below is a picture along with the original Bangor Punta box (all papers still inside)...I gave $179.00 when I bought it new, and while carrying it around the show I got offered as much as $400.00 for it, by dealers...But it's not for sale at any price while I'm alive...I still wish I'd kept those walnut grips in the box though just to have them......Ben

The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Guns are perfect for hoarders. Way better than cars

I used to love when the old timers would pull out their model 12's at the trap range. My favorite is the model 42 though. Sexy That and a model 52b are about all i wish i had picked up along the way.

One more funny thing about that test target was that my grandpa wrote his guns and serial mumbers on the back of it. I hope someone is enjoying them.
    "Back after 5 years. I thought you had died.

don"

Splitting my time between the montane and the mesas

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep.

As a side note, and if there is any interest here, the "crossed anchors" paperweight seen on my cluttered desk in the above pic was cut and welded from armor taken from the USS Texas battleship during its overhaul...It's stamped BB35...I don't see that one listed anymore on the donation page for the Save The Texas foundation, but other pieces cut from the armor are still available, and your purchase is tax deductible...That is all......Ben

I got to shoot a Kimber 9mm 1911 late yesterday. A friend of mine loves Kimbers. My thought was that it was an extremely refined and engineered weapon and made of top top of the shelve materials. Only thing it was a little heavy for me. Probably just being a sissy.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Honda View Post
    Probably just being a sissy.
    No doubt......

Was it steel-framed or aluminum?......Ben

It was a Kimber Stainless ll. Said he paid around 800 bucks for it.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

It was a Kimber Stainless ll. Said he paid around 800 bucks for it.
    Then there are lighter versions if weight is an issue......Ben

One thing about it was it had very little recoil even a bit less than my p229 which I thought was virtually non existent recoil.

One thing about it was it had very little recoil even a bit less than my p229 which I thought was virtually non existent recoil.
    John Browning designed the 1911 around the .45ACP cartridge, and he knew a 230 grain bullet coming out of the muzzle at 850 FPS would generate considerable negative energy as felt recoil...That's why a main consideration in that design was the absorption of that energy because when repeated firing occurs in battle, the shooter is more confident when he knows his weapon won't beat him up as much as it will the enemy...

Also, weight absorbs energy so in general the heavier the firearm, the more comfortable it is to shoot...But the ergonomics built in by the designer make it even moreso......Ben