Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 1911 a1

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Grubb View Post
    Could have been---for when Ben speaks---I listen
    I knew there had to be one...Somewhere...Somehow......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

My 70s series Combat Commander in satin nickle and Pachmayr grips.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	commander.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	559.6 KB 
ID:	36896  

The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

I regretfully do not own a 1911. These today are some mighty fine samples. If you guys were shopping to day what would you look at in the 1911 category?
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Honda View Post
    If you guys were shopping to day what would you look at in the 1911 category?
    I still like Kimber in a brand new one...I own an Ultra Tactical which is in my carry rotation......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Quote Originally Posted by Truckman View Post
    I still like Kimber in a brand new one...I own an Ultra Tactical which is in my carry rotation......Ben
    Hmm so you would go with a 3 inch barrel. I heard they are making Kimbers here now.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Honda View Post
    Hmm so you would go with a 3 inch barrel. I heard they are making Kimbers here now.
    It's available in 3" 4" and 5"...The 3" I have was a used one I found at a bargain I couldn't turn down...Made "here" as in "where," Alabama?......Ben

Yes they built a new state-of-the-art manufacturing facility in Troy Alabama. They join steyer and Remington who also have plants in Alabama. I think there are several others but I'm not sure about all of them. You know they've been fleeing the Northeast for years because of the unfriendly gun environment. Anyway I looked around a little bit and it seems the model you have is no longer made but I'm intrigued with the weapon and I ask myself why I've never owned a 1911 model weapon. I know they are boat anchors to carry so anyway I'm going to take a look around

Thanks for the update on Kimber...The ones I sold were all made in NYC...But I haven't kept up with the biz in years...As for the "boat anchor," my 39 ounce (maybe a little more with the giraffe bone grips) Gold Cup rides easily in my Tucker holster...The right holster and belt make the difference......Ben

A good article on 1911's......Ben

I'm with Ben on the Kimber. I've always wanted one but never wanted to part with the $$$ to get it. Besides, when I was working I would have been scared to carry it every day due to the wear and tear on the finish.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by Independent Voter View Post
    S & Ws entry is here.
    Hmmm... I may need to look at this one. A good link.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

They ain't cheap. Thats for sure.

Im hijacking the nox thread. Used to be encouraged here.

When my grandpa and I would go hunting way too many years ago, this Colt woodsman was always along. I put a bunch of lead in the air shooting at squirrels. I never expected to see it again but a few years after he died my uncle asked if I would like one of his guns. Took about 1 second to answer. Surprised him so much he agreed.

The owners manual and test target rode around in the box too much but its still pretty cool. I dont know why it says "5" and "15" on it - feet? Its signed by the guy, looks like "Molloy"? Built around 1930.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	274.7 KB 
ID:	36899  

"Back after 5 years. I thought you had died.

don"

Splitting my time between the montane and the mesas

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep.

Very cool to have grandpa's pistol and even cooler with the original docs.