Thread: New Rifle at Mac's House

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

New Rifle at Mac's House

Well I sold a .22 pistol at the weekly gun show and bought this in .308 with the proceeds.

Now I need some advice.

It is tapped for scope mounts and I do not have a clue about installing them. With my AR anything that gets screwed into someplace hot (no, Bo, that's not what I'm talking about) gets some Loktite purple - which takes butane torch to loosen up later. Same deal here? This thing will supposedly accept two model 700 rear mounts, or I can buy a set packaged for it.

Also, what is a good quality scope nowadays? I don't want a budget scope - I've got an NRA 3x9 that will serve temporarily - but I don't want to break the bank either. Any suggestions?
    Avowed Contrarian / Occasional Jingoist / Politically Incorrect

“The world seems full of good men, even if there are monsters in it.” -- Bram Stoker

Since you are asking for advice, it is plain that you are not capable enough to be entrusted with the responsibility of a firearm. So, if you would give me a call at BR 549 I will gladly send my address. You could then insure and send the offending rifle to me and I will take good care of it.

No need to thank me. Just doing my civic duty.
    Individual rights are protected only as long as they don't conflict with the desires of the state .

Would it be easier for me to deliver it?

I'll send the bullets first. ~2700fps fast enough?

“The world seems full of good men, even if there are monsters in it.” -- Bram Stoker

Depends on what you want to do with it the gun.

Long range shooting - I can't help you. I'm a hunter.

If you are going hunting, though, I use a rule of thumb that the glass should cost about half as much as the gun, new. Nikon, Leupold, Bushnell - all make good scopes in the hunting gun line, with the first two offering more variety in terms of quality and price.

It also depends on where you plan to hunt. My 7600 pump carbine cost about $700 new but I put a $250 scope on it because I needed a low power variable for thick stuff. I have a 35 Whelen pump with a better scope on it because it is used for shots in the under 200 yard range. My best shooter, a Savage 30-06 has a scope that cost as much as the gun and my very first gun, a Winchester Model 70 .270 has a scope appropriate for bean fields.

I just saw this

First---I use red locktite when I am sure I will not want to remove a screw in the future. It can be done but has to be heated rather high.

For applications that might need to come apart I use blue.

In general for mounts I use red and for rings I use blue.

For the scope---I use almost universally variable power scopes. I tend to stay with 40 mm objective lenses. I have some larger and some smaller. The give and take is the larger the objective lens the better they are in poor light. The down side is it forces the scope higher to clear the bell on the objective lens---and I don't want my check lifted off the stock. There is also a secondary issue and that is weight.

As for brand---I have a variety but the most common is Leupold.

My advice is to go to a good dealer and look through different scopes--you will see the difference.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Thanks Dave! Blue it is. I got the mounts on Sunday but have been laid up. After some reading I learned Redfield is now made by Leupold in the same factory by the same guys. Don't know if that is accurate, but the Revenge 3x9 40mm I saw at
    Academy seems to fit the bill.