Thread: An "unusual" gun

An "unusual" gun

This is my Winchester Grand European that I use on an occasional wild boar hunt. It is 12 ga on the top and 12x57 on the bottom with a 4 power Zeiss scope.
    I ran across this photo this morning and rather than add it to the photo thread I thought I would post it here.

For any wondering eyes stopping in here with any fantasies---forget it---this lives deep inside a very serious permanent vault.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Grand European.jpeg 
Views:	205 
Size:	232.6 KB 
ID:	35871  

"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Nice!

Cool. 7x57 is a 7mm Mauser, so that thing must pack one hell of a punch. Is it close to a 45-70?
    Avowed Contrarian / Occasional Jingoist / Politically Incorrect

“The world seems full of good men, even if there are monsters in it.” -- Bram Stoker

I'm on the road so have limited ballistic information but here is a basic comparison:

Muzzle FPS/FtLB @100 yd @200

7x57, 139 gr 2740/2317 2555/2015 2318/1504

45 70 , 325 gr 2050/3032 1729/2158 1450/1516

The bigger difference is in drop; @ 200 yds the drop on the 45 70 is more than 4" greater than the 7x57.

I would not consider the 45 70 to be much more than a 100 yd gun.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

So it's a 7x57 on the bottom, not a 12x57. That's why I was confused (check your post - a typo is to blame). I thought it was an odd euro caliber or something.

Yes, the 45-70 effective range is about 150 yards. But God help anything within its reach.
    Avowed Contrarian / Occasional Jingoist / Politically Incorrect

“The world seems full of good men, even if there are monsters in it.” -- Bram Stoker

Quote Originally Posted by Mac View Post
    So it's a 7x57 on the bottom, not a 12x57. That's why I was confused (check your post - a typo is to blame). I thought it was an odd euro caliber or something.

Yes, the 45-70 effective range is about 150 yards. But God help anything within its reach.
    Right you are sir----it should have been 7x57