Thread: Hatcher's Notebook...

Hatcher's Notebook...

I just finished my umpteenth re-reading of this timeless classic and as usual there were new bits of info I've either forgotten or overlooked...Even the first edition, published in 1947, contained research and tables that are timely to any shooter or gun enthusiast at any level...My copy is the second printing of the third edition, which includes all his thoughts and revisions made before his death in 1963...

General Hatcher was a meticulous researcher who wanted his findings to represent the absolute truth no matter how trivial the topic...I think I always find something new because every time I pick up my copy, I'm looking for something in particular and then wind up reading about something else that caught my eye...At any rate, I highly recommend it for the bookshelf of anyone who has an interest in shooting, handloading, guns in general or military history...

My next re-read will be the NRA Fact Book, another indispensable source for shooters...It's in the rotation right after I finish "Winston's War"......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

I am in full agreement regarding General Hatcher

Interestingly my next in line is "The Last Lion" by William Manchester; one of my favorite authors.

My current read is Life Inc. by Douglas Rushkoff---which few here would manage to get through I think it is the "new" communist manifesto and Occupy Wall Street Handbook rolled into one

While reading it is a struggle it challenges me to reflect on things I tend to simply assume--and from that aspect it has value. I seem always to gain most from authors I have significant differences of opinion with.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Grubb View Post
    Interestingly my next in line is "The Last Lion" by William Manchester; one of my favorite authors.
    That's one I've been looking forward to...Do you have the three volume set?...I've been a fan of Manchester since I first read "The Arms of Krupp" in the late sixties...I re-read it after retirement and I remember thinking I hadn't realized how opinionated he was and how much he let it show......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Visions of Glory

It seems the older I get the bigger my "stack in queue" becomes
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis