Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hey Ben, Mike and Dave - need advice.

Hey Ben, Mike and Dave - need advice.

Got the 7600 .30-06 carbine sighted in, finally. I'm always surprised at how well these pumpers shoot. Nice, tight, sub MOA groups. Factory ammo - Remington Express 180 grainers.

And they musta did something to the stock. It didn't beat me up. Much, anyway. Not like my Whelen 7600. But the Whelen shoots stouter stuff anyways. I handload that with 225 gr. Sierra Gamekings over a pretty brisk charge of IMR 4064 - 55 grains (BOOM!).

Now I've got a question - I need a safe. Any recommendations? I would like at least an 8 gauge body, holding 50 guns (my recently departed paternal parent had, um, SEVERAL). Do I want to buy my retirement house first, cuz I can't imagine moving something like this again? Is there some sort of secure storage that can be rented in the meanwhile while I'm finding a home for my new safe?

What a timely question! I'm looking at gun safes myself because mine is too small and too light. Fire protection is very poor in the current safe. So, I've been looking. I think I'm going with a Champion or a Fort Knox. They are pricey, what I want is between 3k & 4.5k. It would be setting here today except I had to spend $2,900 on the septic system two weeks ago.

Here is a good informative video about safes. You can also click on this LINK to get to the same video. The reason I'm posting the link is because there are a lot more videos about gun safes on youtube. Just look on the right side of the screen. There are even a few about how to move the thing fairly easily.

I forgot. You mentioned your retirement home. I'm thinking of that too. If I build my retirement home I intend to include a vault which will also double as a safe room. It will house my valuables and also provide a place to go in case of inclement weather or even an intrusion. They are simple to build of reinforced concrete and a vault door.

The best security is in not telling anybody what you have or where in the house it is...As far as safe brands, I've always personally liked National Security (I still have one to hold what's left of my meager collection), but I've sold far more Champions than any other line...Champion has an extensive list from small & basic to large & fully equipped...

Lots of things need to be considered including where in the house it (or they) will be installed...Will it be a showpiece you'll be tempted to show visitors or (like mine) hidden in a closet?...Can you physically move it through your entry door and navigate it in the house to where you want it?...It it's hidden away, will there be adequate lighting and elbow room when you want access?...

Temporary rental space is possible, but most gun stores with secure storage don't have room for it...If they do have room their inventory is down and they might be tempted to sell yours...Most people who store away from the house just park their safes in a self-storage unit and pack old furniture and mattresses around them...

Some things to stay away from when choosing a safe are square corners (they're spot welded and can be opened with a twenty pound sledgehammer) and doors that don't have bolts on all four edges...Don't worry about external or internal hinges; with bolts on all sides, it will only open when you want it open...

Don't worry about moving the safe(s) to another house, safe companies will move them for a price and they are well worth it...Also think about ventilation to prevent rusty guns...Small fans can be installed to move air and always use one or a few heating rods (usually 85 watts) in the safe...Just raising the temperature inside the safe one or two degrees will drive out moisture...

I'm sure I'll think of more later......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    I'm looking at gun safes myself because mine is too small and too light.
    Mike, visit Steve Christoph at Lone Star Gun Safes near you...I've known him many years and I trust what he says......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Quote Originally Posted by Truckman View Post
    Mike, visit Steve Christoph at Lone Star Gun Safes near you...I've known him many years and I trust what he says......Ben
    Ben, that's where I plan to buy.

If I build my retirement home I intend to include a vault which will also double as a safe room.
    Lone Star can sell you a vault door also...The one I bought for Shooter's Station was secure and you can't be locked in...Even if you're deliberately locked in, you can open it at any time from the inside......Ben

Ben, that's where I plan to buy.
    Cool, tell Steve I said "Hey"......Ben

Cool, tell Steve I said "Hey"......Ben
    Will do.

If either of you built a vault/safe room any safe you buy now can be used for photo/document/other valuables whether you install it inside or outside the vault room...Also all safe companies take trade-ins, so your old one still has some value......Ben

If either of you built a vault/safe room any safe you buy now can be used for photo/document/other valuables whether you install it inside or outside the vault room...Also all safe companies take trade-ins, so your old one still has some value......Ben
    Good to know. I plan to give the old one to the wife for her jewelry and whatever she thinks is valuable. That will get it out of my safe.

Oh yeah, and don't listen to Dave Grubb and be sure to open and close the safe door 500 times to break it in......Ben

Is it the door, or the lock that needs 500 rotations?

To be fair, Dave was only trying to be sure that he understood the directions. He concluded that "Pull" did indeed open the door and "Push" actually closed it. Hey, you don't know stuff works until you test it, right? He's an empiricist, after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    ..He's an empiricist, after all.
    No, he's an engineer. In my previous life I worked for engineers. It rubbed off on me. I understand Dave.

Did you watch the video?