Thread: ROMNEY: "I will lead us out of this debt and spending inferno.

ROMNEY: "I will lead us out of this debt and spending inferno.

ROMNEY: "I will lead us out of this debt and spending inferno. We will stop borrowing unfathomable sums of money we can't even imagine, from foreign countries we'll never even visit. I will bring us together to put out the fire."

THE FACTS: Romney's tax and spending plans don't support his vow to dampen the debt fire. He proposes to cut taxes and expand the armed forces, putting yet more stress on the budget, and his promise to slash domestic spending isn't backed by the big specifics. Romney's tax plan would cut the top income tax rate to 28 percent from 35 percent and other rates by 20 percent each. He says he'd broaden the tax base and eliminate many deductions in the process, but details are missing.

A study by the nonpartisan Committee for a Responsible Federal Budget concluded earlier this year that Romney's plans would not make a dent in deficits, and could worsen them considerably. That study was done before Romney upped his tax cuts, inviting even deeper debt.

That's not to say he can't at some point lay out the spending cuts necessary to achieve his aims. But he would have to slash domestic programs by more than 20 percent — far more than the 5 percent in immediate cuts he has proposed. It is nearly unthinkable that Congress would approve the evisceration of basic federal functions such as food inspection, air traffic control, the Border Patrol, FBI, grants to local governments, health research, housing and heating aid for the poor, food aid for pregnant women, national parks and much more.

Nowhere in Tuesday's speech was there a new idea of how Romney would accomplish the promised deficit reduction. He spoke generally of reforming Social Security and Medicare, eliminating duplicative government programs, and transferring some functions to the states or the private sector, adding that he would "streamline everything that's left."

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/05/16...#ixzz1v2ioK78m

Ok just how's that supposed to work out.
    Fred

"Everyday I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've
    stayed alive."

'Take care of yourself, and each other.'

He says he'd broaden the tax base and eliminate many deductions in the process, but details are missing.
    As always the devil is in the details...I'd like to see the details of any plan from any candidate......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Quote Originally Posted by Truckman View Post
    As always the devil is in the details...I'd like to see the details of any plan from any candidate......Ben
    Me too Ben.
    Fred

stayed alive."

Well gee, trust Romney, who has shown how to be successful, or trust obama to spend ANOTHER 5 or 7 TRILLION dollars we don't have an push it off on our children to suffer. How'd that last 5 trilion treat everyone....you better off than you were 4 years ago???
    "Illegal Immigrant" is not a race....

‎"We have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion . . . Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." ~John Adams

Quote Originally Posted by FredK View Post
    Me too Ben.
    0Bama's budget just went down in flames. Not even one democrat voted for it. Read more... http://www.crackerbarrelphilosophers...s-0Bama-budget

I'd like to hear your take on this issue, Fred.

Quote Originally Posted by Greenie View Post
    0Bama's budget just went down in flames. Not even one democrat voted for it. Read more... http://www.crackerbarrelphilosophers...s-0Bama-budget

I'd like to hear your take on this issue, Fred.
    Bush's fault...

‎"We have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion . . . Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." ~John Adams

O has had a nice ride, historical President in many ways some good, so not so, it's time for a graceful bye bye

Quote Originally Posted by LawDog View Post
    Well gee, trust Romney, who has shown how to be successful, or trust obama to spend ANOTHER 5 or 7 TRILLION dollars we don't have an push it off on our children to suffer. How'd that last 5 trilion treat everyone....you better off than you were 4 years ago???
    Actually yes thanks for asking Ld. Ford stock at a 1.98 and Harley at 8 were great buys among others. How about you?
    Fred

stayed alive."

Ford didn't take any of that 5 trillion.... How's your Solyndra and GE stock?? Since you brought up Ford, it's a perfect example of how NOT throwing tax money at a problem and letting the market fix it works..... but who cares, we'll just let the kids pay it back, right?

Quote Originally Posted by LawDog View Post
    .... but who cares, we'll just let the kids pay it back, right?
    Thats why I have to hold myself back, when I hear the Libs and Dems say that they are worried about future generations. If those mindless morons were truly worried they would quit spending someone elses money to pay for their stupidity. Let our kids make their own decisions on how to spend their taxes they are going to pay.