Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need Optics

Need Optics

Ben,

Since my eyes can no longer focus on three points of varying distance, rear sight, front sight and target, I need a scope for the Henry .22 you sold me a few years ago. Any suggestions?

Since OMES (Old Man's Eye Syndrome) has its foot in your door, I would suggest a single point to focus on, like a holosight...Unlike an optical sight, eye relief is unimportant, so it can be mounted over the firing chamber or toward the muzzle...That point is probably moot, since I'm betting the only sight bases available for the Henry will be the traditional rearward mount...You might check Brownell's catalog to see what's available......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

I was going to suggest that, then I thought about what it would look like on a Henry rifle......a space age cowboy gun...
    "Illegal Immigrant" is not a race....

‎"We have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion . . . Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." ~John Adams

I have a cheap A1 Optics red dot on it now. I'm not particularly happy with the brightness of the dot. I'm thinking I want a traditional scope with cross hairs and variable magnification. Not the most expensive, but something cost effective. Any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    I have a cheap...
    Therein lies a problem when combating OMES...The last two 10/22's I built for myself, I used a Swarovski 1.5-4.5X on one and a Leupold 10X Tactical with knob-adjustable parallax on the other...That's overkill to an extreme, but by golly I could see what I wanted to see...

With our eyes we need all the light gathering capability possible in optics, and the size of the objective lens and the tube will govern that...Bigger is better in both cases...Look for multi-coated lenses for glare reduction...Think about the distances you'll shoot at and choose either a fixed parallax for close range only or an adjustable objective lens for varying distances...Also make sure the ocular lens has a range of adjustment to compensate for your shooting eye without glasses...

Since you've already got a red dot on it now, hasten thee to Gander Mountain or a well stocked gun store and look through an EOTech holosight...I still think a good one would be the answer...If you still want tube optics, remember any money spent on quality glass is well spent...If you upgrade your .22, you can always use the same quality scope...Dave Grubb probably has valuable advice on the topic also...

One of my oldest friends is possibly the best surviving sniper in the world (not just my opinion, he teaches advanced classes for all the federal agencies) and he lives less than a mile from me...When he talks shooting, I listen and the advice I gave above on tube optics is the same thing he says......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Quote Originally Posted by Truckman View Post
    Dave Grubb probably has valuable advice on the topic also...
    I heard he was a big fan of the Bushnell scopes, but wouldn't buy one because you had to look through it 500 times before it was perfect....... (sorry, couldn't resist)
    "Illegal Immigrant" is not a race....

‎"We have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion . . . Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." ~John Adams

Ok, thanks, Ben.

If you want to do any after hours shooting, you might want to look at this one that popped up on CraigsList today......Ben

I'm thinking of getting one of THESE. I'm waiting for Brownells to tell me what rings I need for my application.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    I'm thinking of getting one of THESE. I'm waiting for Brownells to tell me what rings I need for my application.
    The power and parallax settings are about right for a rimfire...This site will give you a little more info plus pics of the available reticles......Ben

Thanks, Ben. I'm planning on the BDC150 reticle.

I ordered the scope and Warne rings to mount it.

Warne rings have always been high quality......Ben

I hope it will be here Friday so I can play this weekend.

Got the scope and rings today. I mounted the scope and put 10 rounds through the gun. I am extremely happy so far. This combination takes care of my tired eyes and shoots as good as I allow it to shoot. The last three rounds were touching at 25 yards. Still a little tweeking to do, it's a bit high at 25, but might be just right at 50. Oh, I'm planning to use this in the back yard so the ammo I'm using has no powder, primer only. It sounds like a pellet gun. Don't yell at me for shooting in the back yard, I don't shoot into the air and I make sure of my backstop. Besides, the back yard is a bit larger than the norm. Ben has seen it.