Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Guns for SHTF

Perhaps we should consider adding a muzzle loader to the arsenal. If commercial ammo becomes so scarce you just can't take it from anyone, an old-time rifle might be all you can use. Lead will be easy to come by. I made black powder just to see if I could when I was in high school, or was it college? Either way, it is easy to make. Percussion caps might be hard to find, so a flint lock would be the rifle to have in the collection.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    I've even seen serious discussions about how money might fail in such a situation. At that point, even metal money would have no value.
    I've heard it said that guns will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no guns......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Amen, brother Ben!!

With the amount of ammunition and components I have on hand---I have a difficult time identifying with this concern

BTW Kevin--you have far to high an opinion of my ability---I have shot my fair share of holes in the air as well---mostly at running white tails. While I have been successful on some of those running shots I have murmured good-bye at that white flag as others went out of sight
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Since the .mil transitioned to 7.62x51 id stockpile more of that than 30.06, but hey, the more the merrier. many a foreign battle rifle has it, and it wouldnt hurt to toss in some 556 and 7.62x39 as the shear volume out there is incredible with SKS and AK alike.

I'll keep my trusty AR and clean and lube it like its meant to be, then use a 308 or 257roy for sniping if needed. 22lr in any flavor will be fine.
    Guns don't kill people. Zombies kill people.

That brings up an interesting point, haikon: what do you see as the likely scenario in your SHTF model?

I don't see an invasion by a foreign army, nor a turning of our own government into a dictatorship. While anything is possible, I don't think it is likely.

More likely, to me, is an economic collapse of some sort, where normal means of obtaining food or heat/lights is interrupted for a time, maybe a protracted time period.

So for me, guns and ammo are useful for obtaining meat by shooting game. Maybe some protection in case regular law enforcement is unavailable or ineffective.

I also don't see myself forting up in the woods or hinterlands, building a stronghold and going it alone. As I said, my relatives have had some experience with this and what got them through is to go smaller and local, but not individualistic. They grew their own food with their neighbors, protected themselves with their neighbors, cared for their sick with their neighbors - lots of things are a lot easier when you go micro but not singular.

So that's the scenario I'm planning for. I have a camp in the woods with neighbors within walking distance (though a fair bit of walking is necessary). Game, water, wood, land to grow things but enough people to help if needed when I'm sick or whatnot. I get by with a little help from my friends...

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    That brings up an interesting point, haikon: what do you see as the likely scenario in your SHTF model?

I don't see an invasion by a foreign army, nor a turning of our own government into a dictatorship. While anything is possible, I don't think it is likely.

More likely, to me, is an economic collapse of some sort, where normal means of obtaining food or heat/lights is interrupted for a time, maybe a protracted time period.

So for me, guns and ammo are useful for obtaining meat by shooting game. Maybe some protection in case regular law enforcement is unavailable or ineffective.

I also don't see myself forting up in the woods or hinterlands, building a stronghold and going it alone. As I said, my relatives have had some experience with this and what got them through is to go smaller and local, but not individualistic. They grew their own food with their neighbors, protected themselves with their neighbors, cared for their sick with their neighbors - lots of things are a lot easier when you go micro but not singular.

So that's the scenario I'm planning for. I have a camp in the woods with neighbors within walking distance (though a fair bit of walking is necessary). Game, water, wood, land to grow things but enough people to help if needed when I'm sick or whatnot. I get by with a little help from my friends...
    I dont see any monetary value in silver or gold in these scenarios. survival does not depend on pretty objects when they weigh you down needlessly. You wont be able to buy food or water with something that will have no value in a bartering system, so bullets and labor will be a big factor.

my personal idea of wahts coming faster than we realize
    Guns don't kill people. Zombies kill people.