Thread: Recharging Lithion Ion Batteries

Recharging Lithion Ion Batteries

I know these batteries have had problems with exploding and fires. I know very little about electricity.

I have recently noticed a very small drill (great for model making) that has a 4 volt Lith-Ion battery but its charger shows an output of 6 volts.

My question: Wouldn't this kinda overload the smaller capacity and cause overheating and possible explosions????

My Makita 18V drill uses a large charger with a fan in it. It shows an output as "7.2V/7,2V-18V - 9A". Don't understand what all that stuff means, but it seems to work great while it constantly monitors itself. It's the little devil I worry about.
    Sam

Sandbag it, then plug it in......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

I think that chargers usually supply higher volts than the battery delivers. A car's alternator, when charging is over 14 volts - the 12 volt car battery fully charged is 12.8 volts. Here's a chart, I don't know what the hell it means....

DanH is offline Sept. 06, 1927 - May 24, 2018
    Adventurer Par Excellence!
    May He Rest In Peace
    Quote Originally Posted by Saggy View Post
    .... . I know very little about electricity.
    Dear Saggy ... For a guy that grew up on Aurora St., with the
    young hoodlums using the Model T spark coil 'Shocker' , which changed 6-volts to about 1000-volts, deployed by running wires to any handy victim, including bathroom door knobs, as Granny Tinnie found out , you should know that Voltage = Current x Resistance,V=IR. The voltage isn't what could kill you, it's the current.
    Like Greenie says, your 12 volt car battery can get charged by a 16 volt output generator. Your car has a 'voltage regulator' to accomodate the various engine speeds as you drive.
    "PUSH TO FLUSH"

Thanx guys. I still have no idea----except that it must be ok to recharge with a bit higher voltage.

Funny-----Just now, on Fox news, comes a picture of somebody's Apple iPhone that EXPLODED. Heat is a big problem

Maybe there's something different with the Lithium batteries?

So SBA says it's OK to attach the Model T spark coil to my 4 volt drill? Wasn't it just something like a capacitor or transformer?
    Last time I took SBA's advice I rolled cornsilk inside of toilet paper--- smoked 'em, and got sick.
    Sam