Thread: Ben on the Flight Line

Ben on the Flight Line

"The only thing that we learn from torture is the depths of our own moral depravity"

Quote Originally Posted by TriGuy View Post
    Ben on the Flight Line
    Not quite...Ben would have been the 6'4" guy unseen in the background on his knees with his back hunched, trying to shoulder a missile launcher back into the fuselage, and at the same time trying to get at least one bolt started so he could relax his back long enough to start the other 3 and get the hell out from under there......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Ben, considering your service history, what was the best part of your job and what was the worst?

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

Quote Originally Posted by UTAH View Post
    Ben, considering your service history, what was the best part of your job and what was the worst?

Hunter
    My service was pretty unremarkable...I was a cold warrior so I was never in danger from enemy fire in a combat zone...I suppose my favorite part of those years was the opportunity for travel which I would not have had otherwise...I counted 17 countries I visited...

Lowlights would include some really miserable 72 hour shifts on the flightline in below freezing, windy, and really wet weather...In those alerts we lived on hot coffee and sandwiches brought to the flightline by our flight chief who was a really good scrounger...If he saw an unattended flightline heater between trips to the chow hall and getting us new orders, he hitched it to the bumper of his Econoline pickup and brought it directly to whichever of his crews had been working without heat the longest...He was a great thief...Otherwise the only warm spot was walking behind a taxiing jet on its way to the runway...Sleep was whatever nap we could get taking turns in the passenger seat of the chief's truck until the alert was called off......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Quote Originally Posted by Truckman View Post
    ...17 countries I visited...
    Nice. Travel is tops my list of life's high points.

I like the way Israel requires military service unless exempted. I think Boot Camp turns young men and women into adults. Now, not saying one must go through it - just saying I see it fostering maturation.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead