Thread: What say you Ben?

What say you Ben?

"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

I saw the article earlier today, but didn't get to read it until just now...Being an old dinosaur with limited, but naturally acquired intelligence (LBNAI), i am skeptical of machinery controlled by other than human minds...However, since the inevitable is already upon us, I propose they are further tested at my old outfit, Holloman AFB in New Mexico...There they have a unit which converts fighter planes to dual control aircraft in which the human pilots can still fly them, but other controls are installed to allow the pilot to operate it from controls while he is still on the ground...These are designated as QF- aircraft, and are used to train new fighter pilots in what it takes to actually shoot down an enemy...Currently they use older F-16's nearing the end of their service life for conversion...The unmanned aircraft are launched unarmed and flown by a combat experienced ground-bound pilot to a point over White Sands Missile Range where a pilot in training awaits to be attacked...The trainee's aircraft is armed with live air-to-air missiles and functioning M-61 guns...

The dogfight that ensues can end when the grounded pilot achieves missile lock on the trainee, or when the trainee achieves the same on the QF-16...At this point the trainee actually shoots down the opposing QF-16 and knows what it is actually like to dogfight an enemy, and if successful watches his (or her) opponent impact the desert floor after his/her victory...

Prior to using the older F-16's for this purpose, my beloved F-4's were converted to QF-4's, the last ones being shot down over the desert by up and coming USAF pilots, or their equivalent US Navy aviators in training over the Gulf of Mexico training range from NAS Pensacola...The last F-4 went down a few years ago, surrendering its life in favor of training better pilots...Many of the QF-4's were aircraft I personally worked on until my separation from service after the wing's move from Spangdahlem AB to Holloman AFB...

Since the aircraft being converted to AI controls are the latest F-16's, I propose that a number of the older F-16's being converted to QF-16's be instead converted to AI controls and-let them see what they can do against pilots in training...In this way two purposes can be served at once: pilot training in combat, and wringing out a new system under combat conditions...I am not opposed to new technology as long as the testing is thorough when lives are at risk......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

I think we share the same concern. I liken it to the "Tesla syndrome" where they have their autonomous control "almost perfect"

"Almost perfect" does not make that bridge abutment almost cushioned

In the same way, an "almost perfect" AI pilot "almost never" attacks a "friendly" target
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

May just be my opinion but is 'dog fighting' still a viable practice in this day of war? Isn't the enemy typically just a blip on a radar screen somewhere and can be shot down without engaging in aerial combat. I figured they would be focused on phasing out the fighter jet.

Sounds like a lot of money being spent to remove the pilot so why not take the shot from a drone or land based capabilities.