Thread: Share Some Music "Finds" On YouTube

My favorite Baez song:

The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

This just came up---and forced my mind to "actively" listen and to watch the video.

The Piano Man originated about 1973----and I was in the midst of a personnel and silent struggle. I had graduated in Dec. 1969 and immediately went to work for a very large consulting firm. I was "fast tracked" and before long I was on the road 75% of the time----I was the "clean-up" guy that fixed the punch list. It was hard to be upbeat when I spent so much of my time "fixing chit"

Living on the road is full of pot holes---and it is easy to hit everyone. The biggest of all---the bar in the hotel which has become your home I would sit there and listen to some guy tell some woman the same lies you heard some other guy tell some other woman the night before---1,000 miles away. Life was cheapened. Eventually I stopped drinking---but on occasion I would still go to the bar--and then have to listen to the sly comments from the bartender or some drunk about not having a "real" drink

This song speaks to all of those things----from the inside

To end my tale, in the spring of 1974 I walked away. I had a 3 year old son who did not know me My company talked me into taking a sabbatical rather than resign---I did---and I'm still on it

In four years, I had learned more than I had learned in four years at an excellent university----but it was slowly killing me

I bought a backhoe and began the next phase of my life being a father and husband
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Piano Man has long been one of my favorites.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Many tried but few succeeded to sing with Pavarotti but most paled to the depth and power of Pavarotti's voice. In this instance I give Lionel Richie kudos for a job well done
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

i don't really know who john mayer is, but the tune is farmilliar, i definatly hear the ottis redding towards the end. just a nice pick me up after a hard day.

https://www.google.com/search?q=teen...id:tMktEBdTZIA
    it's time to change the air in my head

Count Basie and his orchestra at the North Sea Jazz Festival in Amsterdam.

The "young" base player is John Clayton, a friend of mine----he has more than a few grey hairs now

At the time this was recorded John was also the principle basest with the Netherlands Philharmonic Orchestra. He married a Dutch girl and latter moved to CA were they still live. Their son Gerald has become a well know pianist in his own right. John retired from teaching (the kids got free tuition!) at UCLA and has his own orchestra with his brother Jeff.

While we are doing Jazz----here is another great.

Wynton Marsalis & Eric Clapton ----I think Clapton is one of the top guitarist today and Wynton Marsalis is in his own class. I once read (or was told) that playing with Wynton Marsalis was like falling down an endless and empty elevator shaft
    Last edited by Dave Grubb; 06-27-2023 at 09:30 PM.

Okay, Dave! You got me on this one! I have heard many renditions of Corrine Corrina, but never anything like this. What I have heard is mostly Western Swing and a few Cajun versions. It got me to wondering about the origin of the music, and down the wormhole I went.

Before showing you what I found, an interesting fact:

"Corrine, Corrina" is also an important song related to Western swing's pioneering use of electrically amplified stringed instruments. It was one of the songs recorded during a session in Dallas on September 28, 1935, by Roy Newman and His Boys (OKeh 03117).[9] Their guitarist, Jim Boyd, played what is the first use of an electrically amplified guitar found on a recording.
    Damn! That's a piece of history right there!

For more interesting stuff about Corrine Corrina, poke on these links: Wikipedia and Fiddle School

BTW, Clapton and others got sued over copyright violations for performing Corrine Corrina. I don't know the outcome.

Wow----now I need to go back to school

I had no idea that anything that murky was behind Corine, Corina-----and its variations

The list of those who had some part in the long history of the song reads like a music Who's Who

The suit against Clapton was based on the claim that he incorrectly attributed the song on his alblum to Lead Belly Ledbetter

[BA LAWSUIT FILED against Eric Clapton claims the guitarist mistakenly credited the wrong blues musicians in the liner notes of his 1992 Unplugged album.

The song in question, “Alberta,” credited blues legend Huddie “Lead Belly” Ledbetter as the songwriter behind the traditional tune.

However, in the lawsuit filed in Nashville, the estate of blues singer Armenter “Bo Carter” Chatmon argues that Clapton improperly credited Ledbetter for the track, and that the performance is actually a rendition of Chatmon’s “Corrine, Corrina.”[/B]
    I'm not sure what ever happened to it, I did find that Clapton filled to dismiss the case five years after it was brought.

huh, i always thought corrine corrina was a lead belly tune thanks for the education

some here might like reverend peyton and his big damn band. kinda bluesy. i need to reasearch what kind of guitar and amp he uses. the sound reminds me of late 30's, early 40's blues played with a slide

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7RopOgsh5c this vid is pretty entertaining too
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qkjbQBEhvg
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWCcLW08dsU
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7RopOgsh5c

i also like the drummers use of anything around to make percussion

I never gave the origin of Corrine Corrina much thought, but if asked I would have said it was a Western song of the type played around cowboy campfires and barn dances in the 1800s. It turns out to be much more contemporary, although still old to us. My first memory of hearing it was on country music radio in the early '70s, probably played by Bob Wills and the Texas Playboys.

Here is the original recording by Bo Carter (Bo Chatmon) in 1928.

This is a marvelous sound and unequaled (IMHO) by any other instrument. It is called a pan flute. The artist is Gheorghe Zamfir, I believe widely considered the best of the best on the pan flute.

I found the comments below this piece to be very interesting----I had many of the same thoughts.

Enjoy

huh...i always heard them called pan pipes. i do very much enjoy them