Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: J.C. Update

DanH is offline Sept. 06, 1927 - May 24, 2018
    Adventurer Par Excellence!
    May He Rest In Peace

J.C. Update

"Former Texas Gov. Miriam "Ma" Ferguson is widely quoted as opposing the teaching of Spanish in Texas public schools by saying the following quotation: "If English was good enough for Jesus Christ, it's good enough for the school children of Texas." "

Well I reckon so
    "PUSH TO FLUSH"

Quote Originally Posted by SBA View Post
    "Former Texas Gov. Miriam "Ma" Ferguson is widely quoted as opposing the teaching of Spanish in Texas public schools by saying the following quotation: "If English was good enough for Jesus Christ, it's good enough for the school children of Texas." "

Well I reckon so
    Wasn't Hebrew his 1st language and Latin his 2nd? A couple of "best sellers" reveal this. "J.C--Superstar" show'd he was fluent in English also----and could sing and dance too!!!!
    Sam

Aramaic...
    "Illegal Immigrant" is not a race....

‎"We have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion . . . Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." ~John Adams

Couldnt it be said that He is fluent in any language he so chose to speak? This is like asking if the pope can bless....
    Guns don't kill people. Zombies kill people.

DanH is offline Sept. 06, 1927 - May 24, 2018
    Adventurer Par Excellence!
    May He Rest In Peace
    Quote Originally Posted by haikon View Post
    Couldnt it be said that He is fluent in any language he so chose to speak? This is like asking if the pope can bless....
    J.C. was a carpenter - not much call for English-speaking carpenters in his locality in them days ...
    "PUSH TO FLUSH"

Quote Originally Posted by SBA View Post
    J.C. was a carpenter - not much call for English-speaking carpenters in his locality in them days ...
    Not too many carpenters speaking English --- today
    Sam

Quote Originally Posted by Saggy View Post
    Not too many carpenters speaking English --- today
    Actually not a whole lot of english speakers in all of the skilled trades. 20 years or so from now you might have to learn spanish to have a new home built unless the rich mexican contractor hires a token white boy to translate.

I'll drop a bomb.

Christ spoke Aramaic, as Lawdog said. But his father was a contractor, and architect. Though a son typically went into his fathers business, which Christ did when he was about 30 years old...That does not necessarily mean he went into his Step, or Foster Fathers, business.

I also realize that I have a very unique view on this.

As for Ma Ferguson, well, he spoke English in the Bible...
    If you don't make someone elses life better, what good is yours?

Weighty decisions are easy to make, when you aren't burdened by all the necessary information

The inherent vice of capitalism is the unequal sharing of blessings. The inherent virtue of communism is the sharing of misery. -Winston Churchill

If you think the United States is bad, think of another country that wants to put troops on the border to keep illegal aliens out, instead of walling in their citizenry

Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post

Christ spoke Aramaic, as Lawdog said. But his father was a contractor, and architect. Though a son typically went into his fathers business, which Christ did when he was about 30 years old...That does not necessarily mean he went into his Step, or Foster Fathers, business.
    Calling Joseph a contractor and architect rather than a carpenter in the context of that period I hardly think a substantive difference--but so be it. However I am left a bit confused by your next statement; if I understand that you are saying Jesus went to work for Joseph at the age of 30--please expand on that.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

He's saying Christ was the Son of God.....and he went into the family business of saving souls....

‎"We have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion . . . Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." ~John Adams

Well, that one went way over my head, too. It makes sense after LD's post.......

Of course, I'm just assuming that was his meaning, but that's how I took it...

I read and reread it trying to take it that way but it sure left a question in my mind
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Again, I dont want to put words in his mouth, but my take on what he is saying is God is the Architect of all living things, and Christ was about 30 when he went up on the cross...Joseph, being his father here on Earth, would be the foster/ step father....

Biblical scholars differ on the details of the age of Jesus when he began his public ministry; most seem to center on its beginning at the age of about 30 and lasting for approximately three years.

There is some basis for argument about his birth being as early as 6 BC which indicates a latter beginning for his ministry.