Thread: Appeal Filed Over Gay Marriage Ruling In California

Appeal Filed Over Gay Marriage Ruling In California

Supporters of California's gay marriage ban filed an appeal Thursday of a federal judge's ruling striking down the voter-approved law.

The appeal to the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals was expected, as lawyers on both sides of the legal battle repeatedly vowed to carry the fight to a higher court if they lost.

On Wednesday, a federal judge in San Francisco overturned California's Proposition 8, which restricts a marriage to one man and one woman. U.S. District Court Judge Vaughn Walker ruled the law violates federal equal protections and due process laws.

The 9th Circuit court has no deadlines to hear the case, which will be randomly assigned to a three-judge panel. It's expected that the panel will order both sides to submit written legal arguments before scheduling a hearing.

The outcome in the appeals court could force the U.S. Supreme Court to confront the question of whether gays have a constitutional right to wed.
    http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...47&ft=1&f=1003

Another case I suspect will go all the way to the Suprem Court before it's all over.
    Fred

"Everyday I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've
    stayed alive."

'Take care of yourself, and each other.'

Crescent City CA. where the redwoods meet the sea.
    Quote Originally Posted by FredK View Post
    http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...47&ft=1&f=1003

Another case I suspect will go all the way to the Suprem Court before it's all over.
    There saying on the news today it will be decided by one man because there are four left and four right on the Court with one in the center, the damn courts are no different than our Government, all politics.
    Old redneck hillbilly borned and raised on a redwood stump.

DanH is offline Sept. 06, 1927 - May 24, 2018
    Adventurer Par Excellence!
    May He Rest In Peace
    The 9th Circuit Court is so FU'd liberal they would rule Lefty could marry his horse
    "PUSH TO FLUSH"

funny but the Judge that tossed out prop 8 was appointed to the bench first by Ronald Reagan then to the current post by Bush 1...damn liberals
    "The only thing that we learn from torture is the depths of our own moral depravity"

Quote Originally Posted by SBA View Post
    The 9th Circuit Court is so FU'd liberal they would rule Lefty could marry his horse
    I think the horse might object on grounds of animal cruelty......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Quote Originally Posted by TriGuy View Post
    funny but the Judge that tossed out prop 8 was appointed to the bench first by Ronald Reagan then to the current post by Bush 1...damn liberals
    Snap

and he is also reported to be gay.

good read, biased at times but a good read none the less

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...Q0IP.DTL&tsp=1
    "The only thing that we learn from torture is the depths of our own moral depravity"

Who appointed him has nothing to do with the fact that he likes to rubber sword fight in his spare time.
    Guns don't kill people. Zombies kill people.