Thread: Should Videotaping the Police Really Be a Crime?

Should Videotaping the Police Really Be a Crime?

Read more: http://www.time.com/time/nation/arti...#ixzz0vkwl354M

The legal argument prosecutors rely on in police video cases is thin. They say the audio aspect of the videos violates wiretap laws because, in some states, both parties to a conversation must consent to having a private conversation recorded. The hole in their argument is the word "private." A police officer arresting or questioning someone on a highway or street is not having a private conversation. He is engaging in a public act.

Even if these cases do not hold up in court, the police can do a lot of damage just by threatening to arrest and prosecute people. "We see a fair amount of intimidation — police saying, 'You can't do that. It's illegal,'" says Christopher Calabrese, a lawyer with the ACLU's Washington office. It discourages people from filming, he says, even when they have the right to film.
    Interesting to be sure.
    Fred

"Everyday I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've
    stayed alive."

'Take care of yourself, and each other.'

I hope when they finish trying to run this guy through the ringer he has a lawyer that cleans them out and has the officer in a pickle. Trying to use your position to intimidate a civilian.
    Retired April 17, 2019
    Back to driving October 12, 2022
    Damn Credit Card
    Life’s too short to drink cheep booze and argue with stupid people.” Mickey Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Blue74 View Post
    Trying to use your position to intimidate a civilian.
    AKA official oppression......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

I have no problem with video, I have a HUGE problem with interpretation and depiction.............not to mention editing to get a thirty second "interesting" story................