Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Federal judge overturns gay marriage ban in Calif.

Federal judge overturns gay marriage ban in Calif.

A person close to the case says a federal judge has overturned California's same-sex marriage ban in a landmark case that could eventually land before the U.S. Supreme Court.

Chief U.S. District Judge Vaughn Walker made his ruling Wednesday in a lawsuit filed by two gay couples who claimed the voter-approved ban violated their civil rights.

A copy of the ruling had not yet been publicly released.

Both sides previously said an appeal was certain if Walker did not rule in their favor. The case would go first to the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals then the Supreme Court if the high court justices agree to review it.
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100804/...VkZXJhbGp1ZGdl

And as the saying goes: As Cali goes so goes the rest of the nation.
    Fred

"Everyday I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've
    stayed alive."

'Take care of yourself, and each other.'

I wonder why people even bother to vote anymore when progressive judges routinely overrule the people's will.

Quote Originally Posted by Greenie View Post
    I wonder why people even bother to vote anymore when progressive judges routinely overrule the people's will.
    Ahh---I see---and here I thought the Judges were expected to interpret and rule on law--independent of the people's "will"

Must be confused
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Yeah, but it is dependent on whose will they are ruling independent of.
    If you don't make someone elses life better, what good is yours?

Weighty decisions are easy to make, when you aren't burdened by all the necessary information

The inherent vice of capitalism is the unequal sharing of blessings. The inherent virtue of communism is the sharing of misery. -Winston Churchill

If you think the United States is bad, think of another country that wants to put troops on the border to keep illegal aliens out, instead of walling in their citizenry

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Grubb View Post
    Ahh---I see---and here I thought the Judges were expected to interpret and rule on law--independent of the people's "will"

Must be confused
    You are.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Grubb View Post

Must be confused
    There you go again Dave confusing people with facts.
    Fred

stayed alive."

why are they still wasting time and money on this decision... let 'em marry and be done with it.

Judge overturns California Ban on Gay Marriage

A federal judge on Wednesday overturned a California ban on same-sex marriage, ruling that the Proposition 8 ballot initiative was unconstitutional.

The ruling by U.S. District Judge Vaugh Walker, one of three openly gay federal judges in the country, gave opponents of the controversial Proposition 8 ballot a major victory.

Gay couples waving rainbow and American flags outside the courthouse cheered, hugged and kissed as word of the ruling spread.

"Our courts are supposed to protect our Constitutional rights," lead plaintiff Kris Perry said as Sandy Stier, her partner of 10 years, stood at her side. "Today, they did."

A lot of trends start in California and spread eastward. This might be one of them.

Despite the favorable ruling for same-sex couples, gay marriage will not be allowed to resume. That's because the judge said he wants to decide whether his order should be suspended while the proponents pursue their appeal in the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals. The judge ordered both sides to submit written arguments by Aug. 6 on the issue.
    Supporters argued the ban was necessary to safeguard the traditional understanding of marriage and to encourage responsible childbearing.
    If it really was about responsible child rearing the divorce rate would not be so high.

The judge found that the gay marriage ban violates the Constitution's due process and equal protection clauses.

"Because Proposition 8 disadvantages gays and lesbians without any rational justification, Proposition 8 violates the Equal Protection Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment," the judge ruled.

Both sides previously said an appeal was certain if Walker did not rule in their favor. The case would go first to the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals, then the Supreme Court if the high court justices agree to review it.
    And so it will continue in the courts. If it hits the US Supreme court and is ruled in favor of it then you will be sure to see gay marriage in every state. The US supreme court could always kick it back to the states and more than likely that's what will happen as the federal government has already said marriage is a state issue.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010...-marriage-ban/

Fred

stayed alive."

Quote Originally Posted by Greenie View Post
    So I suppose that if the will of the people were to bring back slavery that would be ok?

It does not take a judge to overturn the will of the people. Just ask Mayor Bloomberg. He wanted to run for a third term after "the people's will" voted twice to have term limits and all he did was go before the city council and had them overturn the law.

And why is this thread in political purgatory so quickly when politics has nothing to do with gay marriage. It should be in current events since politics has nothing to do with marriage.

A lot of trends start in California and spread eastward. This might be one of them.
    Yep and it is starting to show. Kali is broke, overrun with illegals and politicians who have nothing better to do than worry about two queers getting married. I hope it stays west, that way the rest of the country can worry about how to fix the real problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    why are they still wasting time and money on this decision... let 'em marry and be done with it.
    Amen, screw this argument..............who the hell cares what folks do. I don't . Don't agree but could care less. I think we got bunch bigger "fish to fry" here than worry about folks that have a propensity that is not shared by most, sexuallly that is.
    Last edited by chew 'n' spit; 08-04-2010 at 11:50 PM.

It seems interesting that the decision was made in San Francisco, a noted gay and liberal community, and the judge made the decision, and then put a stay on his own decision. A curious turn of events that seems more politically and self preservation motivated then anything else.

By the way, has anyone else noticed a trend of if there is a public vote, and the democrats don't like it, they sue to get it overturned? A few examples, George Bush' first election, SB 1070, Prop 8. Funny how the will of the people is subject to a liberal view of what is best. Curious that they also always try and bring it before a judge they can depend on to make the right decision, and go all Sotomayor and legislate from the bench.
    If you don't make someone elses life better, what good is yours?

Weighty decisions are easy to make, when you aren't burdened by all the necessary information

The inherent vice of capitalism is the unequal sharing of blessings. The inherent virtue of communism is the sharing of misery. -Winston Churchill

If you think the United States is bad, think of another country that wants to put troops on the border to keep illegal aliens out, instead of walling in their citizenry

Quote Originally Posted by chew 'n' spit View Post
    ..............who the hell cares what folks do.
    I do...

If it's wrong, it's wrong...Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Crescent City CA. where the redwoods meet the sea.
    Quote Originally Posted by Truckman View Post
    I do...

If it's wrong, it's wrong...Ben
    Yes Ben its morally wrong what they do, just look in the Bible, even there it will tell you the Willy is made for a woman.
    Old redneck hillbilly borned and raised on a redwood stump.