Thread: Treasury: 5.6M hires qualify for new tax break

Treasury: 5.6M hires qualify for new tax break

Businesses have hired 5.6 million workers under a new program that provides tax breaks for hiring unemployed workers, the Treasury Department said Monday.

The report, however, does not estimate how many of those jobs would have been added without the tax break.

President Barack Obama signed a law in March that exempts businesses hiring people who have been unemployed for at least 60 days from paying the 6.2 percent Social Security payroll tax through December. Employers get an additional $1,000 credit if new workers stay on the job a full year.

Treasury released a report Monday estimating that from February through June, businesses hired 5.6 million workers who qualify for the tax breaks. That's up from the 4.5 million workers who were hired under the program through May.
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100802/...ing_tax_credit

Another program that appears to be working.
    Fred

"Everyday I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've
    stayed alive."

'Take care of yourself, and each other.'

Quote Originally Posted by FredK View Post
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100802/...ing_tax_credit

Another program that appears to be working.
    You did not catch, in your quote that they do not know how many of those jobs would have been added without the tax break? I will give you a hint, likely all of them.

As an employer, $1000 is not enough incentive to get me to hire an employee. For my employees, and they are very basic skill employees, that is about a week and a half worth of pay. Obviously this was incentive designed by someone that never ran a business.
    If you don't make someone elses life better, what good is yours?

Weighty decisions are easy to make, when you aren't burdened by all the necessary information

The inherent vice of capitalism is the unequal sharing of blessings. The inherent virtue of communism is the sharing of misery. -Winston Churchill

If you think the United States is bad, think of another country that wants to put troops on the border to keep illegal aliens out, instead of walling in their citizenry