Thread: Wis. candidate can't use controversial description

Wis. candidate can't use controversial description

A legislative candidate from Wisconsin can't use a profane, racially charged phrase to describe herself on the ballot, an election oversight board decided Wednesday.

Ieshuh Griffin, an independent running for a downtown Milwaukee seat in the state Assembly, wants to use the phrase, "NOT the 'whiteman's b----.'"

But the state's Government Accountability Board voted to bar that wording, agreeing with a staff recommendation that it is pejorative and therefore not allowed.

State law allows independent candidates to have five words describing themselves placed after their names on the ballot as long as it's not pejorative, profane, discriminatory or includes an obscene word or phrase.

Griffin, who is black, argued her case to the five white, retired judges on the board that regulates elections. She said the phrase was protected free speech.

"It's a freedom of expression," she said. "It's not racial. It's not a slur."
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100722/...NjYW5kaWRhdGU-

Freedom of speech or not? I say it is.

I'll wait for other to chime in.
    Fred

"Everyday I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've
    stayed alive."

'Take care of yourself, and each other.'

How is "whiteman's bi#$% not racial and a slur?
    That being said, it may be free speech, but it's a government document, and not allowed, anymore than you are allowed to put profane language on license plates...
    "Illegal Immigrant" is not a race....

‎"We have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion . . . Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." ~John Adams

nasty

bumpersticker by NT Candy, on Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndthyme View Post
    nasty
    Agreed........and stoopid, very stoopid........and i meant stoopid instead of stupid, which is a higher form of stupid. What a friggin moron.

it would certainly clue people in as to what she's all about though hey, thats the beauty part of free speech

bumpersticker by NT Candy, on Flickr

Crescent City CA. where the redwoods meet the sea.
    Quote Originally Posted by chew 'n' spit View Post
    Agreed........and stoopid, very stoopid........and i meant stoopid instead of stupid, which is a higher form of stupid. What a friggin moron.
    Well said and nasty bad 2T.
    Old redneck hillbilly borned and raised on a redwood stump.