Thread: Black Panther's

Black Panther's

Could someone enlighten me as to what this group stands for. Black, I get it, Panther's very aggressive animals I get that, so where does it go. Are they the Black KKK, I dunno. I have a little history on their radicalism, so why are they needed today, and why are they operating in with impunity. Didn't Forest Gump have an encounter with them...........I guess if you don't hang someone from a tree down south, then anything else you do is ok.............to me it is all DIGUSTING............btw black panter's and black panthers are one in the same..............lol

I believe these were the ones that (supposedly) kidnapped the newspaper mogul's daughter and kept her for ransom in a closet. Ask David Horowitz. He used to write all their propaganda pamphlets until they murdered one of his close friends. He's been an uber-conservative since. I get them mixed up with the Weather Underground---that had a big shoot-out with LA cops many years back where they lost many of their followers and kinda threw in the towel. It seems that he Black Muslims have kinda taken over in the last decade or so.
    Sam

Quote Originally Posted by Saggy View Post
    I believe these were the ones that (supposedly) kidnapped the newspaper mogul's daughter and kept her for ransom in a closet.
    I think you are thinking of the Symbionese Liberation Army.

The Black Panthers were originally organized back in the 1960s to protect black and other minority neighborhoods from police brutality.

They employed a California law which permitted carrying a loaded rifle or shotgun as long as it was publicly displayed and pointed at no one. Carrying weapons openly and making threats against police officers, helped create the Panthers' reputation as a violent organization.

Just another political group obsessed with guns

I guess Bush's refusal to pursue criminal charges against them over the election day demonstrations was based mostly on 2nd Amendment considerations of their right to keep and bear arms.

Founded in Oakland, California, by Bobby Seale and Huey P. Newton on October 15, 1966, the organization initially set forth a doctrine calling primarily for the protection of African American neighborhoods from police brutality.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Panther_Party

The Ten Point Program
    The Ten Point Program was as follows:

1.WE WANT FREEDOM. WE WANT POWER TO DETERMINE THE DESTINY OF OUR BLACK AND OPPRESSED COMMUNITIES. We believe that Black and oppressed people will not be free until we are able to determine our destinies in our own communities ourselves, by fully controlling all the institutions which exist in our communities.
    2.WE WANT FULL EMPLOYMENT FOR OUR PEOPLE. We believe that the federal government is responsible and obligated to give every person employment or a guaranteed income. We believe that if the American businessmen will not give full employment, then the technology and means of production should be taken from the businessmen and placed in the community so that the people of the community can organize and employ all of its people and give a high standard of living.
    3.WE WANT AN END TO THE ROBBERY BY THE CAPITALISTS OF OUR BLACK AND OPPRESSED COMMUNITIES. We believe that this racist government has robbed us and now we are demanding the overdue debt of forty acres and two mules. Forty acres and two mules were promised 100 years ago as restitution for slave labor and mass murder of Black people. We will accept the payment in currency which will be distributed to our many communities. The American racist has taken part in the slaughter of our fifty million Black people. Therefore, we feel this is a modest demand that we make.
    4.WE WANT DECENT HOUSING, FIT FOR THE SHELTER OF HUMAN BEINGS. We believe that if the landlords will not give decent housing to our Black and oppressed communities, then housing and the land should be made into cooperatives so that the people in our communities, with government aid, can build and make decent housing for the people.
    5.WE WANT DECENT EDUCATION FOR OUR PEOPLE THAT EXPOSES THE TRUE NATURE OF THIS DECADENT AMERICAN SOCIETY. WE WANT EDUCATION THAT TEACHES US OUR TRUE HISTORY AND OUR ROLE IN THE PRESENT-DAY SOCIETY. We believe in an educational system that will give to our people a knowledge of the self. If you do not have knowledge of yourself and your position in the society and in the world, then you will have little chance to know anything else.
    6.WE WANT COMPLETELY FREE HEALTH CARE FOR ALL BLACK AND OPPRESSED PEOPLE. We believe that the government must provide, free of charge, for the people, health facilities which will not only treat our illnesses, most of which have come about as a result of our oppression, but which will also develop preventive medical programs to guarantee our future survival. We believe that mass health education and research programs must be developed to give all Black and oppressed people access to advanced scientific and medical information, so we may provide our selves with proper medical attention and care.
    7.WE WANT AN IMMEDIATE END TO POLICE BRUTALITY AND MURDER OF BLACK PEOPLE, OTHER PEOPLE OF COLOR, All OPPRESSED PEOPLE INSIDE THE UNITED STATES. We believe that the racist and fascist government of the United States uses its domestic enforcement agencies to carry out its program of oppression against black people, other people of color and poor people inside the United States. We believe it is our right, therefore, to defend ourselves against such armed forces and that all Black and oppressed people should be armed for self defense of our homes and communities against these fascist police forces.
    8.WE WANT AN IMMEDIATE END TO ALL WARS OF AGGRESSION. We believe that the various conflicts which exist around the world stem directly from the aggressive desire of the United States ruling circle and government to force its domination upon the oppressed people of the world. We believe that if the United States government or its lackeys do not cease these aggressive wars it is the right of the people to defend themselves by any means necessary against their aggressors.
    9.WE WANT FREEDOM FOR ALL BLACK AND OPPRESSED PEOPLE NOW HELD IN U. S. FEDERAL, STATE, COUNTY, CITY AND MILITARY PRISONS AND JAILS. WE WANT TRIALS BY A JURY OF PEERS FOR All PERSONS CHARGED WITH SO-CALLED CRIMES UNDER THE LAWS OF THIS COUNTRY. We believe that the many Black and poor oppressed people now held in United States prisons and jails have not received fair and impartial trials under a racist and fascist judicial system and should be free from incarceration. We believe in the ultimate elimination of all wretched, inhuman penal institutions, because the masses of men and women imprisoned inside the United States or by the United States military are the victims of oppressive conditions which are the real cause of their imprisonment. We believe that when persons are brought to trial they must be guaranteed, by the United States, juries of their peers, attorneys of their choice and freedom from imprisonment while awaiting trial.
    10.WE WANT LAND, BREAD, HOUSING, EDUCATION, CLOTHING, JUSTICE, PEACE AND PEOPLE'S COMMUNITY CONTROL OF MODERN TECHNOLOGY. When, in the course of human events, it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bonds which have connected them with another, and to assume, among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the laws of nature and nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation. We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal; that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights; that among these are life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. That to secure these rights, governments are instituted among men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed; that, whenever any form of government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it, and to institute a new government, laying its foundation on such principles, and organizing its powers in such form as to them shall seem most likely to effect their safety and happiness. Prudence, indeed, will dictate that governments long established should not be changed for light and transient causes; and, accordingly, all experience hath shown that mankind are most disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. But, when a long train of abuses and usurpation, pursuing invariably the same object, evinces a design to reduce them under absolute despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such government, and to provide new guards for their future security
    The way I understand why they came into being is that they would follow behind police cars in Oakland. If the police car stopped someone they would pull over and watch the action to see if any people were abused. Seems the Cali law allowed shotgun to be in a car if it wasn't pointed at anyone. I would assume it was a great equalizer in those days when black and police were well at odds with each other.
    Fred

"Everyday I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've
    stayed alive."

'Take care of yourself, and each other.'

[QUOTE=Fulltimer;915459]I think you are thinking of the Symbionese Liberation Army.

You're right Fulltimer.
    Sam

Huey Newton.....
    Newton was accused of murdering Oakland police officer John Frey. Frey had stopped Newton before dawn on October 28, 1967, and attempted to disarm and discourage the Panther patrols. After fellow officer Herbert Heanes arrived for backup, shots were fired, and all three were wounded. Heanes testified that the shooting began after Newton was under arrest, and a surprise witness testified that Newton shot Frey with Frey's own gun as they wrestled.[6][7] No gun for Frey or Newton was found.[7] Newton himself claimed that Frey shot him first, which made him subsequently pass out for the rest of the incident; Newton also claimed that it appeared (from the courtroom testimony of the surviving officer) that the two police officers either shot each other, or there was a third shooter (most likely the former).[8] Frey was hit four times and died within the hour, while Heanes was left in a serious condition with three bullet wounds. With a bullet wound to the abdomen, Newton staggered into the city's Kaiser Hospital. He was admitted but was later shocked to find himself chained to his bed.[9] Newton also recalls in his book vague images of being operated on in the hospital while police were interrogating him.

Charged with murdering Frey, Newton was convicted in September 1968 of voluntary manslaughter and was sentenced to 2–15 years in prison. In May 1970, the California Appellate Court reversed the conviction and ordered a new trial. After two subsequent mistrials, the State of California dropped the case.[9]
    On August 22, 1989, Newton was fatally shot on the 1400 block of 9th street in West Oakland by a 24-year-old Black Guerilla Family member, Tyrone Robinson.[14] Robinson was convicted of the murder in August 1991 and sentenced to 32 years for the crime.[15] Official accounts claimed that the killer was a known drug dealer in Oakland.[3]

Robinson contended that Newton pulled a gun when the two met at a street corner in the neighborhood, Sergeant Mercado said, but investigators said they found no evidence Newton had been armed. The killing occurred in a neighborhood where Newton, as minister of defense for the Black Panthers, once tried to set up social programs to help destitute blacks.

Newton's last words, as he stood facing his killer, were, "You can kill my body, but you can't kill my soul. My soul will live forever!" He was then shot three times in the face by Robinson, who went by the street name "Double R".[
    What goes around, comes around......

Quote Originally Posted by Fulltimer View Post

I guess Bush's refusal to pursue criminal charges against them over the election day demonstrations was based mostly on 2nd Amendment considerations of their right to keep and bear arms.
    Re-writing history again........they were charged, Eric Holder dropped the charges. Who was it again that put Holder in office??????
    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...968458430.html

President Obama's Justice Department continues to stonewall inquiries about why it dropped a voter intimidation case against the New Black Panther Party.

The episode—which Bartle Bull, a former civil rights lawyer and publisher of the left-wing Village Voice, calls "the most blatant form of voter intimidation I've ever seen"—began on Election Day 2008. Mr. Bull and others witnessed two Black Panthers in paramilitary garb at a polling place near downtown Philadelphia. (Some of this behavior is on YouTube.)

One of them, they say, brandished a nightstick at the entrance and pointed it at voters and both made racial threats. Mr. Bull says he heard one yell "You are about to be ruled by the black man, cracker!"

In the first week of January, the Justice Department filed a civil lawsuit against the New Black Panther Party and three of its members, saying they violated the 1965 Voting Rights Act by scaring voters with the weapon, uniforms and racial slurs. In March, Mr. Bull submitted an affidavit at Justice's request to support its lawsuit.

When none of the defendants filed any response to the complaint or appeared in federal district court in Philadelphia to answer the suit, it appeared almost certain Justice would have prevailed by default. Instead, the department in May suddenly allowed the party and two of the three defendants to walk away. Against the third defendant, Minister King Samir Shabazz, it sought only an injunction barring him from displaying a weapon within 100 feet of a Philadelphia polling place for the next three years—action that's already illegal under existing law.
    One way to get there is for Mr. Obama to insist his Justice Department reinstate the Black Panther case or provide a full explanation for why it was dropped.
    Yeah, like that's going to happen.....

You're new Black Panther party....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhYL-gmPdwg

Go ahead, bring your nightstick to a gunfight......

Rewriting history?

You appeared to surrendar to the facts in this thread:

http://www.discussiondepot.net/forum...r-Holder-to-go.....

The criminal case was dropped January 7, 2009, 13 days before Obama was inaugurated, 26 days before Eric Holder became attorney general, and about nine months before Thomas Perez was confirmed as head of the Civil Rights Division.

The link to the testimony: http://www.usccr.gov/NBPH/05-14-2010_NBPPhearing.pdf

Moving to the matter at hand, the events
    occurred on November 4th, 2008. The Department became
    aware of these events on Election Day and decided to
    conduct further inquiry.
    After reviewing the matter, the Civil
    Rights Division determined that the facts did not
    constitute a prosecutable violation of the criminal
    statutes. The Department did, however, file a civil
    action on January 7th, 2009, seeking injunctive and
    declaratory relief under 11(b) against four
    defendants."
    Although none of the defendants responded to the complaint,
    the Department had a continuing legal and ethical obligation
    to ensure that any relief sought was consistent with the law
    and supported by the evidence. Based on the careful review
    of the evidence, the Department concluded that the evidence
    collected supported the allegations in the complaint against
    Minister King Samir Shabazz. The Department, therefore,
    obtained an injunction against defendant King Samir Shabazz,
    prohibiting him from displaying a weapon within 100 feet of an
    open polling place on any Election Day in the City of Philadelphia
    or from otherwise violating Section 11(b). The Department considers
    this injunction to be tailored appropriately to the scope of the violation
    and the constitutional requirements and will fully enforce the injunction's
    terms. Section 11(b) does not authorize any other kinds of relief, such
    as criminal penalties, monetary damages, or civil penalties.
    The Department concluded that the allegations in the complaint against Jerry Jackson,
    the other defendant present at the polling place, as
    well as the allegations against the national New Black
    Panther Party and its leader, Malik Zulu Shabazz, did
    not have sufficient evidentiary support.
    You must have overlooked that discussion.

don