Thread: Brewer cancels border governors meeting

Brewer cancels border governors meeting

A fight is developing over the unilateral decision by Gov. Jan Brewer to cancel next month's meeting of 10 border governors, which had been scheduled for Arizona.

The governors of two other U.S. states say they want the annual meeting to go on, but not in Arizona. Aides to both Republican Arnold Schwarzenegger and Democrat Bill Richardson said the conferences are too important to let slide because of the political fallout from Arizona's adoption of a tough new law aimed at illegal immigrants.

Texas Gov. Rick Perry was somewhat less committal, saying through press aide Katherine Cesinger he would be willing to attend a relocated border governor's conference.

The move left Brewer disappointed.

"I would have liked to believe that they would have shown support for the governor of Arizona and for the people of Arizona," Brewer told Capitol Media Services.

.......Richardson was the first to step into the fray by proposing the conference be moved. He said Brewer doesn't have the authority to pull the plug on the conference.

"She may not want to host it for political reasons," said Richardson press coordinator Caitlin Kelleher.

"But that s not a reason to sidestep the tough issues that border governors must address, including migration and border violence," Kelleher continued. She said Richardson "will look for alternative sites to host the conference, with or without Arizona s participation."
    Ought to get interesting.
    Fred

"Everyday I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've
    stayed alive."

'Take care of yourself, and each other.'

Did she want to cancel it because there might be Mexicans coming to it or because the Mexican Governors were not going to attend if it were in Arizona?

Austin would be a good location for the conferance IMHO.

The Mexican Governors would feel a bit safer from arrest and the "Special Assesments" if it were held in Texas.

don

The Mexican governors were not invited. Only governors from the United States.

Perry is going to lose his election in November if he keeps flirting with the illegals. If his opponent wasn't even worse than Perry, I vote for him.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    The Mexican governors were not invited. Only governors from the United States.
    Since a link wasn't provided in the OP, here's one...
    The 28th annual conference was scheduled to take place in Phoenix this September. It would be attended by six governors form northern Mexico and the four border governors in the U.S.
    ...Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

I stand corrected!
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    I stand corrected!
    Be seated......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Quote Originally Posted by Fulltimer View Post

The Mexican Governors would feel a bit safer from arrest and the "Special Assesments" if it were held in Texas.

don
    Well if the Mexican Governors come across the border in the proper way instead of sneaking across the river in the middle of the night, they have nothing to worry about in Arizona either.....duh..

Quote Originally Posted by Fulltimer View Post
    Did she want to cancel it because there might be Mexicans coming to it or because the Mexican Governors were not going to attend if it were in Arizona?

Austin would be a good location for the conferance IMHO.

don
    -----------------------------
    Better yet!!! San Antonio------at the Alamo!!!!
    Sam

I''m thinking San Jacinto would be better....

Quote Originally Posted by LawDog View Post
    I''m thinking San Jacinto would be better....
    We dont wanna have to remind them of the spanking they took way back when.
    Guns don't kill people. Zombies kill people.

Well since they have an agenda to take back the American Southwest and make it Mexico again, maybe they should be reminded....

Viva la Raza!
    Guns don't kill people. Zombies kill people.