Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dream-act could benefit thousands of AZ immigrants

Dream-act could benefit thousands of AZ immigrants

An estimated 114,000 young illegal immigrants living in Arizona could benefit from legislation that would allow them to become legal U.S. residents if they attend college or join the military, a report released Thursday says.

Arizona ranks fifth among the Top 16 states where potential beneficiaries of the DREAM Act live, according to the report by the nonpartisan Migration Policy Institute. It follows California, Texas, Florida and New York.

Nationwide, an estimated 2.1 million young immigrants could benefit from the bill, which is being increasingly touted as the only immigration-related bill that has a chance to win enough bipartisan support to pass this year.

However, barriers such as limited English proficiency, poverty and family obligations would keep many of those young people from fulfilling the proposed law's requirements for becoming a legal resident.

As a result, only about 38 percent of potential beneficiaries - an estimated 825,000 people nationwide - would likely obtain permanent legal status, the report says. The report's authors based their estimates on the latest data from the U.S. Census Bureau.

Still, the legislation could have a profound impact on children who were brought to the U.S. illegally by their parents but who want to become legal residents and contribute to the nation where they grew up, the report's authors said.

"The investments they would be required to make in their education or military service on the path to permanent legal status would ensure that they are well integrated into U.S. society and bring important skills and training to the U.S. workforce," said Margie McHugh, co-director of the institute's National Center on Immigrant Integration Policy.

To meet the DREAM Act's requirements, an immigrant must have entered the U.S. before age 16, been continuously present in the U.S. for at least five years before the law's enactment, obtained a high school diploma or its equivalent, and be younger than 35 years old.

If those requirements are met, immigrants would be allowed to stay in the U.S. on a conditional basis for six years. At the end of that periodDxhmmigrants could apply for lawful permanent residence if they obtain a degree from a college or university, complete at least two years in a program for a bachelor's degree or higher, or honorably serve at least two years in the U.S. military.

Read more: http://www.azcentral.com/news/articl...#ixzz0t7rCs7e3
    This was interesting tidbit.
    Unlike comprehensive reform, the DREAM Act has bipartisan support and is not as controversial as proposals that would provide a path to citizenship for all 11 million estimated illegal immigrants in the U.S.
    Maybe some reform.
    Fred

"Everyday I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've
    stayed alive."

'Take care of yourself, and each other.'

I've always liked this act.... these kids did not make the decision to become illegals and if they are willing to work to be good citizens then I don't see how it can hurt our country.

Doing nothing keeps them in a position where they have to live outside the law instead of being productive.

I don't think it is right that illegal immigrants get to pay in state tuition, and legal residents from one state over have to pay higher out of state fees.....in Arizona or anywhere else...

The people one state over can pay in-state tuition in their own state. They are not being deprived of anything.

This is a way for children of illegal immigrants to become useful, productive, tax-paying citizens of this country. Those who take advantage of the program would be showing their desire to work to become legitimate Americans. These are the people that want to be one of us. Isn't that one of the gripes, that these illegal immigrants don't want to assimilate? Well, here's a program that provides them with a means to that end. Seems to me that putting more obstacles in their path is counterproductive.

I'm with Phillbo and Kevin on this.

The kids are not the criminals - the parents are. Let's make a silk purse out of this and build a better future for our country by building a better future for these kids who had no say on being here.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Sure, give them breaks on tuition that actual citizens cannot get. Makes sense...

Actual citizens DO get those breaks, just in the state where they reside, not all states. This isn't an exclusive benefit. Residents of New Mexico can get in-state tuition in the state where they are, well, "in state" or residents.

Uh this is for kids..................under 35.............kids.............right

Nope. This is for people who CAME here as children.

So they get to go to 35 before they decide to become "good citizens" trying to make it. You will NEVER see me take a stance here against kids, but with most of these entitlement acts they go too far, IMO.

Does it matter when they decide to become solid, upstanding, legal Americans? They are being offered nothing more than any other resident of the state can get and in return, they become integrated into our society, which is the goal for ALL these illegal immigrants, isn't it? They are being offered a way for them to work to obtain their citizenship. What's wrong with a helping hand?

Yeah, I would like one about now with two in college and two more to come, but I make "too much"..............yeah right.

Quote Originally Posted by chew 'n' spit View Post
    Yeah, I would like one about now with two in college and two more to come, but I make "too much"..............yeah right.
    Well, that is voluntary.

You can always make less.

don

Quote Originally Posted by Fulltimer View Post
    Well, that is voluntary.

You can always make less.

don
    I volunteered for that a couple of years ago...The hours are better, but the pay sucks......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Aw crap!

Let's see. Momma and daddy sneaked into the U.S. back in 1975. They are illegal, no argument. Deport them.

In 1978, they had a kid and named him Roberto. By our Constitution, Roberto is a U.S. Citizen. I don't agree, but that's how it is.

It is now 2010. Roberto is now 32 years old. He is a U.S. Citizen.

What is wrong with Roberto receiving these benefits? It benefits all of us. It benefits the future of our country if Roberto is a productive citizen and his children become productive citizens as well.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke