Thread: Hillary Clinton says rich not paying their fair share

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SBA View Post
    Errr ... Saggy , I wouldst point out y'all owe your later success in life to the splendid start i gave you, for $2.00/hour, on my survey crew. Prior to that, you and one of the Hill twins were selling horse/etc.manure for local gardeners. You met your first wife at the Talmadge drive-in diner on our lunch break. Plus, after that first summer, you took all the money you made off me, bought a Mercury convertible and disappeared to California. Obviously, the work ethic you acquired under my tutelege has stood you in good stead since, although there remains some controversy over the firecracker you put in a banana and handed to Hank Blossom.

I didn't forget Oh Great Seer and Teacher of all good things!!!!! I just didn't think all the others in "The Nest" would have believed any of it. Is selling a dead rat to my little brother for a quarter even believable?----Hey! that was a gallon of gas back in those days.
    Sam

I'm still waiting for an answer to the question to all that think the rich don't pay their fair share, what is a fair amount for the govt to take from them? 50%, 60%, 70%, or all of it? How much of what they make should a person be allowed to keep?

Quote Originally Posted by LawDog View Post
    I'm still waiting for an answer to the question to all that think the rich don't pay their fair share, what is a fair amount for the govt to take from them? 50%, 60%, 70%, or all of it? How much of what they make should a person be allowed to keep?
    Still waiting :whistle:
    I guess no one is willing to put a number out there about how much of the money one earns they should be allowed to keep huh?

You've already received one answer, from me, so I don't think it can be said that "no one" has answered you.

It's ok that no one wants to put numbers to what they want to pay. Waxing poetic is fine and dandy, but its hard to eat literature, so keep on keeping on. Once you put pencil to paper and agree to an arbitrary number, youd be beholden to it like a contract. let someone else make the decision and whine about it later, so here we go again..
    Guns don't kill people. Zombies kill people.

You got a number to shoot out there LD?

Me I would do away with all deductions. No deductions for the mortgage, taxes, second home, .......etc would be one place to start. Another throwin all the under the table sales of motorcycles, cars, boats and garage sale crap one fails to list. Or that favor you did for your "friend"for a few $$$.

Imagine a one page IRS form.

In fact forget the whole thing and delete the IRS and just have a government tax on all stuff sold. Start at 12% and adjust up or down as needed.
    Fred

"Everyday I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've
    stayed alive."

'Take care of yourself, and each other.'

Quote Originally Posted by FredK View Post
    You got a number to shoot out there LD?

Me I would do away with all deductions. No deductions for the mortgage, taxes, second home, .......etc would be one place to start. Another throwin all the under the table sales of motorcycles, cars, boats and garage sale crap one fails to list. Or that favor you did for your "friend"for a few $$$.

Imagine a one page IRS form.

In fact forget the whole thing and delete the IRS and just have a government tax on all stuff sold. Start at 12% and adjust up or down as needed.
    Id consider a flat tax pretty darn equal, personally.
    Guns don't kill people. Zombies kill people.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    You've already received one answer, from me, so I don't think it can be said that "no one" has answered you.
    You never said what your answer was, you posted a graph and said it is hard to put a number on, or some such. It's a simple question, if the cry is the rich don't pay enough of their income, what percentage should they pay?
    Flat tax, yeah that'll work. Those people whining because they rich are only in 40% tax brackets etc, would really be happy if a flat tax was passed and everyone only paid 12%. Or would it be a not so flat tax and the rich have to pay more?

Quote Originally Posted by LawDog View Post
    .......Flat tax, yeah that'll work. Those people whining because they rich are only in 40% tax brackets etc, would really be happy if a flat tax was passed and everyone only paid 12%. Or would it be a not so flat tax and the rich have to pay more?
    There you go again asking if the rich got to pay more? You deduct the corp jet and boat out of the home away from home BS taken now they'd being paying more.

But how do you regulate spending $$$ out of the country???? Maybe a departure tax from air and seaports. So what about the little guy flying his homemade plane or riding his bike to Canada or Mexico? Firgure out all the angles and get back to me.

You got a real good tax accountant to squirrel the savings away? I'll bet the rich have a better group and shelter more than you've could dream about.
    Fred

"Everyday I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've
    stayed alive."

'Take care of yourself, and each other.'

You never said what your answer was,
    That's because there is no "right" number, only one that people agree on at a given point in time. You looked for the "right" number and my answer is "there isn't any".

Not the type of answer you were looking for, perhaps, but then again, I didn't feel I was bound by your framing of the question.

Quote Originally Posted by FredK View Post
    There you go again asking if the rich got to pay more? You deduct the corp jet and boat out of the home away from home BS taken now they'd being paying more.

But how do you regulate spending $$$ out of the country???? Maybe a departure tax from air and seaports. So what about the little guy flying his homemade plane or riding his bike to Canada or Mexico? Firgure out all the angles and get back to me.

You got a real good tax accountant to squirrel the savings away? I'll bet the rich have a better group and shelter more than you've could dream about.
    My tax accountant is aTurbo Tax.....Tim Geithner Edition!!!!
    The top 1% and top 10% of wage earners pay how much of the taxes again. How much burden should they pay to suit you....

I have never considered myself rich although I consistantly earned right around the median income level and that would indicate at least 50% of the population made less, and in many instances a lot less, than I.

I never did obsess over the amount of income taxes I paid. I knew many folks who did. They would be stressed for a month before April 15th trying to find just one more deduction so they could save a couple of dollars on their taxes. It just never seemed a good return for my effort especially when I discovered the way the tax rates where laid out.

The poor paid the same rate on their income as the rich did at the same level. You could not reduce the rate on the first level and you only paid the higher rate on the amount you made over that level. It was not worth the stress to obsess about it. I feel sorry for those who waste so much of their life and happiness obsessing over it.

I confess to anger over what some of my tax money was used for but always tried to philosophize about it that mine was only pennies in the larger scheme of things.

As far as whether I "earned" my wages or not I have to simply say my supervisors were happy with my work effort and level of production and I turned down several promotions over the years.

I do consider it the American way to try to make more money with less effort and I continue to base the value of a job on the amount of renumeration versus the amount of effort and time I have to expend. Right now I am delivering newspapers and getting about $20.00 per hour of work. That is including commute time as hours worked and I consider myself coming out pretty good. The newspaper income with my retirement check and the Social Security places me bringing in more than I have ever made before and I have way more descretionary income than ever before.

Life's been good to me, so far.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhQx7...eature=related

don
    Last edited by Fulltimer; 05-31-2010 at 08:53 PM.