Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: NYC bomb

NYC bomb

I picked this link rather than the NYT so none of you "purest" would be sullied by an unsuspecting click of the mouse.

I know this sounds very "me" centered---but I sure hope the tunnels aren't under high security watch by tomorrow morning---unless you've had that experience it is unimaginable
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Grubb View Post
    I picked this link rather than the NYT so none of you "purest" would be sullied by an unsuspecting click of the mouse.

I know this sounds very "me" centered---but I sure hope the tunnels aren't under high security watch by tomorrow morning---unless you've had that experience it is unimaginable
    I guess a non working link is better than no link at all.

That was the WSJ---but I warn you all this one is from the dreaded NYT.

Sorry to have caused any inconvenience Doc --but some would have taken initiative on their own to find the story--and even supplied a working link
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

I saw that this morning, really scary! Although not "big" the bomb would have wrecked havoc on more then a few and worst of all been a lingering fear for all to many.
    They have video of the car coming into NY, hopefully they will acquire more video identifying the driver.
    This is your mind on drugs!

A crude car bomb of propane, gasoline and fireworks was discovered
    Sounds like a home-grown amateur to me. And a dumb one at that.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Sounds like a home-grown amateur to me. And a dumb one at that.
    Thank God for that.
    This is your mind on drugs!

well... yeah thats a good thing. I liked this
    “See something, say something,” he said.
    I'm guessing thats a response tothe recent incident of the homeless man dieing in the street while people walked by, clicking pictures of him on their cell phones

bumpersticker by NT Candy, on Flickr

ok, so now I've read all the news stories I can find... and if ya want a laugh, read the comments below them! the collective IQ is mindblowing!!!! lol

Only real standout was that Fox decided not to quote the mayor describing the wiring as amatuerish and they don't mention fireworks, muchless consumer grade fireworks, choosing instead to write... explosive powder they also don't tell of smoke and popping noises prompting the vendor to report the car. nor do they mention that vendors name... .

I listened to a few different sources on my ride home this morning. I must confess Fox wasn't in the mix.

While this has all the signs of some guy with no teeth there are precedences of similar amateurishness and propane associated with al Qaeda.

Specifically mentioned was one in Scotland which involved some "self radicalized" terrorists--one of whom died of burns from the failed attempt.

if you're talking about Glascow, I can't really consider that a bomb. it was a car with propane tanks in it and they crashed it into the airport. if thats called bombing, then we need to call the plane that flew into the IRS buildng as he evidently loaded up with fuel as well

They were talking about Glasgow--and I don't believe I did call it a bomb--although I think it a bit of semantics--how about we call them possible terrorist attacks involving propane?

For that matter---from what I recall of that event--the "terrorists" thought they had a bomb---does the lack of expertise negate the intent?

I suppose not.

have you heard of the Viacom possible connection? that the recent Southpark episode might be the reason?

Yes I did but I regarded that as pure speculation.

Instead of being very thankful that it did not go off and kill lots of folks, some seem to be hoping beyond hope that it is some domestic fool who did it..............could be never know, lots of idots and terrorists running around in the US............

My thoughts in calling him a "home grown amateur" was my analysis based on the report of the construction of the device. It simply doesn't sound like an organized attempt to detonate a bomb in NYC. Our Muslim enemies know how to construct bombs that work. I suspect anyone under their direction would have a working bomb, not a cobbled together construct like that which has been reported to us. So, I still suspect some "wannabe" terrorist that even the terrorists would shun.