Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: NYC bomb

It could have been a trial run to see what the reaction would be. It is a shame that a situation like terrorism gets swept under the rug in the US for the simple fact that bombs are not going off on our streets every week. The terror minds are at work here and they are just waiting for a chance to celebrate another 9/11 type scenario.

Quote Originally Posted by TxMusky View Post
    It could have been a trial run to see what the reaction would be.....
    If you were doing a trial run, would you want to raise the alert level and in the process increase your chances of failure? I don't think so. A trial run would have simply left an empty vehicle (or no vehicle) at the site of the intended bombing. Not a smoking construct that places everyone on high alert.

oh gosh yes anything not specifically written in any particular thread is proof of how people feel... yesterday I was chatting with people on FB about the environmental concerns in the gulf and someone had to chime in and tell us all how disgusting we were for not including the loss of 11 men in our discussion... yes, she ws right "no wonder America is so F'd up" its all my fault for not writing what someone thinks I should...

recent news is saying police are interested in a video of a man about a 1/2 block away, looking back "furtively" and removing and outermost shirt in an alley... it maybe nothing...

bumpersticker by NT Candy, on Flickr

swept under the rug how? its the lead story on every news outlet

how tall is your horse........................

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    My thoughts in calling him a "home grown amateur" was my analysis based on the report of the construction of the device. It simply doesn't sound like an organized attempt to detonate a bomb in NYC. Our Muslim enemies know how to construct bombs that work. I suspect anyone under their direction would have a working bomb, not a cobbled together construct like that which has been reported to us. So, I still suspect some "wannabe" terrorist that even the terrorists would shun.
    I'm not sure why so many people seem to be poo pooing this attempt, or any attempt using propane, as a bomb. Propane bleves are very forceful explosions. Yes, Alqaeda overseas has access to better explosives, but if you wanted to blow something up in NYC, would you draw attention to yourself trying to secure such explosives by buying them or their precursors, or would it be smarter to just go buy some gas grill bottles and five gallon gas cans. This bomb attempt was crude, but you fill a closed vehicle up with open gas cans inside, along with lp bottles, and then set fireworks off inside the vehicle, it's going to explode 8 times out of 10 IMO. All it takes is for the gas fumes to ignite the fire and the gas bottles will blow when they get hot enough.(probably about the time the first responders get)
    "Illegal Immigrant" is not a race....

‎"We have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion . . . Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." ~John Adams

Taliban in Pakistan is claiming the bomb attempt.
    http://www.myfoxny.com/dpp/news/loca...ty-20100502-ac
    No proof it was them, but if it wasn't, I'm not sure why they would try to claim a failed attempt....

‎"We have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion . . . Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." ~John Adams

while I think we can all agree that the combination of materials was a dangerous one, as in some video of morons blowing up their own back yard on Youtube. It was plausible to start combustion but in no way would it be possible 8 of 10 times. If you are out to ignite gasoline fumes from cans, you might understand that they are heavier than air and place the fireworks on the floor. If you were out to ignite propane, opening one of the tanks before hand would have been sensible. If you were out to ignite fertilizer, you might have done a little homework as to what fertilizer is actually combustible. If you wanted to erase the history of a vehicle, you might have bothered to learn the VIN is not just stamped into a tag on the dash.... there were a whole litany of things stacked against this working.

They also claimed responsibilty for a shooting here once and had no connection...

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndthyme View Post
    while I think we can all agree that the combination of materials was a dangerous one, as in some video of morons blowing up their own back yard on Youtube. It was plausible to start combustion but in no way would it be possible 8 of 10 times. If you are out to ignite gasoline fumes from cans, you might understand that they are heavier than air and place the fireworks on the floor. If you were out to ignite propane, opening one of the tanks before hand would have been sensible. If you were out to ignite fertilizer, you might have done a little homework as to what fertilizer is actually combustible. If you wanted to erase the history of a vehicle, you might have bothered to learn the VIN is not just stamped into a tag on the dash.... there were a whole litany of things stacked against this working.
    Where exactly do you think the fireworks were, attached to the headliner? Gas fumes are extremely volatile. People even ignite themselves talking on the cell phone while filling their gas tanks. And you can't just "open" the valve on a grill bottle, it has a safety. But, having only minored in Fire Investigation and Arson Investigation, with numerous explosive classes under my belt, I'll bow to your expertise on how often that situation would result in an explosion.....

They also claimed responsibilty for a shooting here once and had no connection...
    So? This was a failed attempt so why claim it and look like you don't know what you are doing?

they claimed it was a jawbreaking success... and you don't think a person can figure out how to put the regulator on a gas bottle and cut the hose... well maybe not this person

according to news reports the fireworks were located in a can beside the gas cans, inside the rifle box and taped on the side of one of the propane tanks. so far I've read the only things on the floor were the clocks.

they claimed it was a jawbreaking success... and you don't think a person can figure out how to put the regulator on a gas bottle and cut the hose... well maybe not this person

according to news reports the fireworks were located in a can beside the gas cans, inside the rifle box and taped on the side of one of the propane tanks. so far I've read the only things on the floor were the clocks.
    And the thought that the propane bottles were added to provide secondary explosions just doesn't occur to you?

Beside the gas cans sounds like a pretty good place to me?????

can only be secondary if a primary is accomplished ... heck, he could have soaked the whole car in gasoline just before walking away and been more likely to accomplish ignition fromn fireworks... or for that matter placing a gasoline soaked rag in the container with the fireworks would have been a guaranteed fire but its still very possible that it might consume the fumes faster than it could ignite the car and gas tanks anyways, a quick flash over