Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: George Will on Prophets Of Doom/ Global Warming ...

DanH is offline Sept. 06, 1927 - May 24, 2018
    Adventurer Par Excellence!
    May He Rest In Peace

Thumbs up George Will on Prophets Of Doom/ Global Warming ...

"PUSH TO FLUSH"

Wait for it.
    This is your mind on drugs!

There will be no comment. Makes me feel better, though.
    If you don't make someone elses life better, what good is yours?

Weighty decisions are easy to make, when you aren't burdened by all the necessary information

The inherent vice of capitalism is the unequal sharing of blessings. The inherent virtue of communism is the sharing of misery. -Winston Churchill

If you think the United States is bad, think of another country that wants to put troops on the border to keep illegal aliens out, instead of walling in their citizenry

Lightbulb Re: George Will on Prophets Of Doom/ Global Warming ...

Originally posted by SBA
    And George Will is RIGHT !
    George Will may be right. I readily admit that.

But, what if he's wrong? What if we totally disregard the warnings and proceed accordingly? Do the benefits of "business as usual" outweigh the risks?

I won't be redundant and rehash old GW battles. My position remains the same. I'd rather assume the environment needs our help and be wrong than get further down the road and discover it's too late to act. It's the logical safe choice for me.

If I'm wrong, how much harm does that cause? But, if George Will is wrong and we do nothing...

Bill
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

Re: Re: George Will on Prophets Of Doom/ Global Warming ...

Originally posted by UTAH
    I'd rather assume the environment needs our help and be wrong than get further down the road and discover it's too late to act. It's the logical safe choice for me.

If I'm wrong, how much harm does that cause? But, if George Will is wrong and we do nothing...

Bill
    I agree, doing things to help the environment has clear benefits in terms of reducing our dependence on oil and therefore foreign countries. Even though I'm on the side of this being "mostly" a natural cyclic event, I see it as a win-win (or at least a win-no harm).
    Avowed Contrarian / Occasional Jingoist / Politically Incorrect

“The world seems full of good men, even if there are monsters in it.” -- Bram Stoker

Thumbs up Re: Re: Re: George Will on Prophets Of Doom/ Global Warming ...

Originally posted by Mac
    I agree, doing things to help the environment has clear benefits in terms of reducing our dependence on oil and therefore foreign countries. Even though I'm on the side of this being "mostly" a natural cyclic event, I see it as a win-win (or at least a win-no harm).
    A good summarization, Mac.

It's one of the great ironies that the current world fiscal crisis and energy issues have made conservation of resources and movement to renewable resources practical matters. We may all disagree on why we need to go Green - yet it seems we're all headed in that general direction.

Bill
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

King(Soon to be god) Willie Herenton's Kingdom of Memphis

Re: Re: Re: Re: George Will on Prophets Of Doom/ Global Warming ...

It's one of the great ironies that the current world fiscal crisis and energy issues have made conservation of resources and movement to renewable resources practical matters. We may all disagree on why we need to go Green - yet it seems we're all headed in that general direction.

Bill
    Doing things in a more "green" way is great and laudable when done voluntarily. Gubmint forcing of such is another thing. I turns out some of the green stuff is helpful to the bottom line of the company/individual. Imposition of restrictions as BO spoke about to put the coal industry out of business is not helpful and is irresponsible since most of the base load in much of the country is served by coal plants. It simply makes a lot of people resentful, and until other fully-integrable options are found, is more burden than should be applied.

The debate over AGW is still in full bloom, and, either way, it would take many years to change, even if man has as much influence as some think.

Recycling and cleanup are necessary and beneficial to a lot of people.

1) DNA is not merely a molecule with a pattern; it is a code, a language, and an information storage mechanism.
    2) All codes are created by a conscious mind; there is no natural process known to science that creates coded information.
    3) Therefore DNA was designed by a mind.

Re: Re: Re: Re: George Will on Prophets Of Doom/ Global Warming ...

Bill
    Absolutely, it reminds me of the old saw, "he must needs go that the devil drives"
    Avowed Contrarian / Occasional Jingoist / Politically Incorrect

“The world seems full of good men, even if there are monsters in it.” -- Bram Stoker

Re: Re: Re: George Will on Prophets Of Doom/ Global Warming ...

Originally posted by Mac

This is only a single example of how the environment needs our help. To me, it's knowing what kind of world I want to live in and knowing what kind of world I'd like to pass to the youngsters.

I hope there is no global warming.

I hope if there is global warming it isn't influenced by man's poor stewardship of this little ball.

...and while I hope I will do what I believe the only responsible thing to do--assume my hope is wishful thinking and act as if the solution requires my involvement

To do any differently would be selfishly irrational.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

I've been a good steward of mother earth for as long as I can remember. Ever since I can remember whether it was the everglades on the rockies peoples trash has pissed me off. I am all for going "green" doing what is right for the environment. It's the damn do it or die, your kids will be hiding from the cannibals BS. Its the Al Gore says so and the sheeple following he gathers that pisses me off. Ethanol is the way!! Screw eating lets burn corn!! NEXT!!!! The whole thing is just something else to make me poor and the rich richer.

For the record Mike---I have no time for Al Gore either---and he has zero influence on my position.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Interestingly enough, there is something biblical about the above attitudes, whether you want to believe it or not.
    If you don't make someone elses life better, what good is yours?

Weighty decisions are easy to make, when you aren't burdened by all the necessary information

The inherent vice of capitalism is the unequal sharing of blessings. The inherent virtue of communism is the sharing of misery. -Winston Churchill

If you think the United States is bad, think of another country that wants to put troops on the border to keep illegal aliens out, instead of walling in their citizenry

Originally posted by Scooter
    Interestingly enough, there is something biblical about the above attitudes, whether you want to believe it or not.
    Talk to us Scooter. I'm interested to hear your take on it from that perspective.

Bill

Originally posted by Dave Grubb
    For the record Mike---I have no time for Al Gore either---and he has zero influence on my position.
    The post wasn't pointed at you Dave, I figure your your own man.
    I just abhor band wagons and will carry on occasionally......every once in a while........ok ok much to much.