Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: George Will on Prophets Of Doom/ Global Warming ...

Yes, I would.

I have 3 children.

It's the least I could do.

Other generations have given up more just so that I could be here.

Unhappy

Originally posted by mgrist
    I don't know as if you've noticed but there's people all over loosing their homes. Me for one and my daughter, SIL and their four kids...
    Damn. My thoughts are with you and your family.

Bill
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

Originally posted by UTAH
    Damn. My thoughts are with you and your family.

Bill
    Mines been a year, the best laid plans of mice and men
    My daughter and all will be fine, they are strong and besides they needed a wake up call, not this severe but it all comes out in the wash.

Thanks!
    This is your mind on drugs!

Originally posted by mgrist
    And you would? No more golf, all that driving. No more vacations. Get rid of that nice house. No more new cars, luxury's TV's, AC, computers.
    I guess I'll be squirming along with everybody else.

there are a tremendous amount of resources tied up in golf courses. They should be the first to go...

Admittedly golf courses still have a long way to go to reduce dependence on pesticides and water but, they have made great strides in recent years.

Although both are needed and have their place, some people (like me) actually prefer a park/preserve like setting over parking lots and belching smokestacks of industrial areas.

But hey, that's just me.

on motivation and bandwagons

I think its strange to be green because you feel its right but abhor a group of people who are motivated to be green for what you think are stupid reasons. If you really are green for the betterment of the environment then anything that motivates more people to be green should please you as it multiplies your efforts instead, railing against their motivations simply invalidates all effort.

I have to wonder then why someone takes the high road? Because you know its best, or it make you feel better than others? If others join you there, you should revel in having help rather than trying to throw them over the hill

ATST brought up this point to me in an old thread about volunteering and heroism... whether your motives are pure or you are driven for the recognition, if a life is saved - who cares why? and if all the people who have never volunteered to help - did so to get on the news.... all that matters is that more people recieved help. the motivation doesn't really matter, just the results.

some people are motivated by bandwagons, looking down at them for it - turning them away... results in what? sure you can prosetylize on how they should be smarter, free thinkers... but they aren't, they were made for bandwagons whats really wrong with that if its moving in the same direction you are?

bumpersticker by NT Candy, on Flickr

Thumbs up

Excellent post Candace.
    You Proles! Mr. Mitt 47% Romney: "my job is not to worry about those people. I'll never convince them that they should take personal responsibility and care for their lives."

I think that it is more the long suspect ulterior motives of the green movement. Especially since the more conservative among us are looking at the vocal green movement as very liberal, it seems that they are more intent on using their "green" agenda as a politically limiting device. The means to them are not important, provided the agenda is met. Or more simply, the end justifies the means.
    If you don't make someone elses life better, what good is yours?

Weighty decisions are easy to make, when you aren't burdened by all the necessary information

The inherent vice of capitalism is the unequal sharing of blessings. The inherent virtue of communism is the sharing of misery. -Winston Churchill

If you think the United States is bad, think of another country that wants to put troops on the border to keep illegal aliens out, instead of walling in their citizenry

Originally posted by Scooter
    I think that it is more the long suspect ulterior motives of the green movement. Especially since the more conservative among us are looking at the vocal green movement as very liberal, it seems that they are more intent on using their "green" agenda as a politically limiting device. The means to them are not important, provided the agenda is met. Or more simply, the end justifies the means.
    some people need bandwagons, others really do require law (especially when profit margins could be affected). I see it as similar to some people don't kill because they know it would be wrong, others need a law to keep them in line and still others really contain themselves for fear of a God's judgement

if not for laws,,,, we would have very little clean water to consume. people/industry didn't just stop polluting out of common sense

bumpersticker by NT Candy, on Flickr

Originally posted by 2ndthyme
    if not for laws,,,, we would have very little clean water to consume. people/industry didn't just stop polluting out of common sense
    BINGO!!

Originally posted by AK Gandy
    BINGO!!
    Big bingo is right....

and usually people had to die before environmental, health and safety laws were enacted over the years.....
    You Proles! Mr. Mitt 47% Romney: "my job is not to worry about those people. I'll never convince them that they should take personal responsibility and care for their lives."

Originally posted by 2ndthyme
    on motivation and bandwagons

I think its strange to be green because you feel its right but abhor a group of people who are motivated to be green for what you think are stupid reasons.
    I don't hate anybody for being green or brown. I hate the two faced hypocrites who are "YEA GREEN" but drive suburbans and fly all over the country telling everybody else what to do while having a house in every other friggin state.

If you really are green for the betterment of the environment then anything that motivates more people to be green should please you as it multiplies your efforts instead, railing against their motivations simply invalidates all effort.
    If I was really green I'd be burning suburbans and million dollar homes like the wackos in Cali?
    I don't have a stage and an airplane I can't invalidate anybody's actions.
    It's to easy to jump off a band wagon, if they jump because somebody has a different opinion then they were only there for the recognition anyway.

I have to wonder then why someone takes the high road? Because you know its best, or it make you feel better than others? If others join you there, you should revel in having help rather than trying to throw them over the hill
    I don't take high roads or low roads I take my own roads and I hope eternally that they are empty of a bunch of fruit cakes that can't think for themselves.
    "OH LOOK" dick and jane are dumping their oil down the storm drain now we know where to put ours! "OH LOOK" Dick and jane are car pooling, quick call somebody we need to keep up with the jone's when ever anybody is looking.

ATST brought up this point to me in an old thread about volunteering and heroism... whether your motives are pure or you are driven for the recognition, if a life is saved - who cares why? and if all the people who have never volunteered to help - did so to get on the news.... all that matters is that more people recieved help. the motivation doesn't really matter, just the results.
    I agree

some people are motivated by bandwagons, looking down at them for it - turning them away... results in what? sure you can prosetylize on how they should be smarter, free thinkers... but they aren't, they were made for bandwagons whats really wrong with that if its moving in the same direction you are?
    Yes, some people are lemmings, they need dick and jane to set an example. The problem with that is that most lemmings are exactly that and end up doing more damage then if they had left well enough alone. Ethonol, no nukes, etc... Follow your heart thats where you get results. Plastic people suck. kiss ass brown nosers suck, people in general suck actually but if they will pick up trash great. I don't have to like em though.

Originally posted by AK Gandy
    I would probably call it "moronic" too if it made me squirm in my seat examining my underlying motives.
    You give yourself far too much credit for the "squirm factor." Better men than you have tried and failed.

Originally posted by wacojoe
    " Better men than you have tried and failed.
    You don't know that Joe, you may have met your match, or not.

I apologize.

I was (once again.....incorrectly) projecting my own tendency for self-introspection.