Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: An Khe , Vietnam ...

DanH is offline Sept. 06, 1927 - May 24, 2018
    Adventurer Par Excellence!
    May He Rest In Peace
    Originally posted by JohnQ
    Guess Where (hint -- Gobbler's Knob is in the upper left hand area)
    You can see the BIG BUDDHA white statute sticking up too. As I recall, JohnQ said his daily devotionals there everyday before he went out and got drunk or laid, or both.

"PUSH TO FLUSH"

Fascinating stuff. I was a kid when this all happened, but read the paper daily and was totally absorbed in it, even when I was eight years old. (1968)
    And I hate to say it, but Dan, you amaze me, even with all the grief that I love to give you.

Stinkin' cranky old phart.
    If you don't make someone elses life better, what good is yours?

Weighty decisions are easy to make, when you aren't burdened by all the necessary information

The inherent vice of capitalism is the unequal sharing of blessings. The inherent virtue of communism is the sharing of misery. -Winston Churchill

If you think the United States is bad, think of another country that wants to put troops on the border to keep illegal aliens out, instead of walling in their citizenry

May He Rest In Peace
    Originally posted by Scooter
    Fascinating stuff.
    You're right , Scooter , the Vietnam War was "fascinating stuff" , especially for us dudes that was around in WWII . Unlike WWII, there was never any moment on the VN battlefield scene where we didn't think we were winning , and right now or shortly . Even in the Tet Offensive 1968 , when the enemy swarmed from nowhere to shooting up all over in a few days , did we doubt we were gonna whupazz win , and we did. But, the problem, as I've outlined before, was there was NOBODY who knew WTF they were doing , or why, back in Washington . As a research project-in-action, commencing shortly after I arrived in Vietam in 1966, I followed the course of the Vietnam "Involvement" through the eyes of the Los Angles Times - from the initial gung-ho "Go get 'em" John Wayne "Ballad Of The Green Berets" era, to the fall of Saigon and the US departure off the Embassy Roof.
    LBJ suckered the USA into the Vietnam War with lies - the "Gulf Of Tonkin" attack that never happened, and squandered American lives and $billions on a war with NOTHING to win , just like GW Bush did with his "WMDs" and the resulting Iraqi fiasco.

But enough of the politics part , as far as wars go, you couldn'ta got a better place to have a war than Vietnam . No snow , no burning deserts, no religious suicide fanatics, just a pleasant bountiful countryside with great beaches and plenty of wine (or Bier 33 ) women and song. Even Ol' JohnQ admits he had a goods time there.

"PUSH TO FLUSH"

Well, maybe it just shows that we cannot ever again elect a president out of Texas.

I used to work for a guy that was a Green Beret, that did four consecutive tours in Vietnam. The guy was really a nut, and I used to love to mess with him and see how far I could push him. We ended up friends in the end, because when push came to shove, and the rubber met the road, we had each others back.

Weighty decisions are easy to make, when you aren't burdened by all the necessary information

The inherent vice of capitalism is the unequal sharing of blessings. The inherent virtue of communism is the sharing of misery. -Winston Churchill

If you think the United States is bad, think of another country that wants to put troops on the border to keep illegal aliens out, instead of walling in their citizenry

Well, maybe it just shows that we cannot ever again elect a president out of Texas.

WE don't need your stinkin' presidency. We have our own.
    Avowed Contrarian / Occasional Jingoist / Politically Incorrect

“The world seems full of good men, even if there are monsters in it.” -- Bram Stoker

Originally posted by Mac
    WE don't need your stinkin' presidency. We have our own.
    And we see how that worked out for them.

The Strait Side of the PNW, unlike Nox's Gay Side
    Originally posted by SBA
    You're right , Scooter , the Vietnam War was "fascinating stuff" , especially for us dudes that was around in WWII . Unlike WWII, there was never any moment on the VN battlefield scene where we didn't think we were winning , and right now or shortly . Even in the Tet Offensive 1968 , when the enemy swarmed from nowhere to shooting up all over in a few days , did we doubt we were gonna whupazz win , and we did. But, the problem, as I've outlined before, was there was NOBODY who knew WTF they were doing , or why, back in Washington . As a research project-in-action, commencing shortly after I arrived in Vietam in 1966, I followed the course of the Vietnam "Involvement" through the eyes of the Los Angles Times - from the initial gung-ho "Go get 'em" John Wayne "Ballad Of The Green Berets" era, to the fall of Saigon and the US departure off the Embassy Roof.
    LBJ suckered the USA into the Vietnam War with lies - the "Gulf Of Tonkin" attack that never happened, and squandered American lives and $billions on a war with NOTHING to win , just like GW Bush did with his "WMDs" and the resulting Iraqi fiasco.

But enough of the politics part , as far as wars go, you couldn'ta got a better place to have a war than Vietnam . No snow , no burning deserts, no religious suicide fanatics, just a pleasant bountiful countryside with great beaches and plenty of wine (or Bier 33 ) women and song. Even Ol' JohnQ admits he had a goods time there.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	playing.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	228.4 KB 
ID:	31326  

Originally posted by JohnQ
    And contrary to what the Dumbazz Kollege Perfessors indoctrinate today, we never lost a single battle, not even Tet, I was there and experienced it. Kicked Victor Charlies' Azz up and down that country.

Name:	patio_1.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	347.3 KB 
ID:	31327  

Our Thang

Name:	tuyhoarecarea.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	267.7 KB 
ID:	31328  

watchin Victor Charlie get his azz carpet bombed by Buff's to Kingdom Come right about in the middle of that ridge line in the background

Name:	watchingtheshow.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	259.3 KB 
ID:	31329  

Got any puff pictures? That plane has always interested me.

May He Rest In Peace
    Got any puff pictures? That plane has always interested me.
    Here is the ORIGINAL "Sandblower Airlines" C47 ... used for night time "Puff " duty from Cam Ranh Bay to Da Nang , "as requested " , plus used for various MACV-CORDS adventures.

Name:	sandblower airlines.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	63.3 KB 
ID:	31330  

"PUSH TO FLUSH"

May He Rest In Peace
    Originally posted by Mike
    Scooter, try these links.

Spooky & Puff
    The Spooky & Puff link was the "Puff" operations during my tour in VN. . At night this was a real " flaming waterfall" show !
    "PUSH TO FLUSH"

Some cool stuff to read about. I had heard stories from my Brother in law, and a former boss. BiL was a marine, and Boss was a green beret. That is one of the weapons of war that has always fascinated me, in the airplane class. The other is the warthog. I see too many Apaches to find them fascinating. They are built about 2 miles from Casa Scooter.

May He Rest In Peace
    Just to show y'all how time do fly , here's a pix of the "gang" dining in Saigon in 1966 ... L to R : Mike, Gary, Me , Stu . Mike, Gary and Stu were already in-country Special Forces dudes when I arrived May '66 . We quickly evolved into a close-knit & noted "Can do , just GTF outta the road" MACV team , and have stayed in touch all these 40+ years since.

Name:	saigon66.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	98.2 KB 
ID:	31331  

"PUSH TO FLUSH"