Thread: Vietnam Veterans Moving Wall Memorial

Exclamation Vietnam Veterans Moving Wall Memorial

I've always wanted to visit the Wall in DC but have never had the oppurtunity (some day I'll make the oppurtunity)

Anywhoo, today is it's first day of a week long visit here in town, and I'm planing on visiting it at least a couple of times and hopefully when they have a ceromony or two.

However, we went last night before it was "officially" opened and walked around. There were a few other people there, but not many. However, it seemed like they were all there visiting friends/family as they were setting some personal stuff at the bottom of the wall that I can only believe belonged to somebody who's name is on the wall.

Had a hard time trying to explain to the kids what the wall was and what it was doing here while at the same time my voice kept breaking and tears kept comming. The girls wanted to know what was wrong and I was unable to explain to them. However, we have a week to go back several times and I'll try and explain to them what was "wrong" with me when we visit the wall.

I Chaparoned a group of 16-17 year old kids on a trip to D.C. .. Kid that age don't settle down or shut-up untill there asleep.. but anyway when we got to the wall not a word or a peep from anyone of them and I'm talking 70+ kids.. I wasnt born till Vietnam was over but I found myself fighting back the Waterworks when one of the kids read a note left posted to the wall..

"Quote"

" The storm came in and delayed up for 4 hours ..when we got there it was to late .....Sorry ..I'm so Sorry.."

I about lost it then the kids we're looking to me to explain Why all of those names we're on the wall And I really couldn't tell em' cause I didn't know why....
    Phil
    Originally posted by ATST
    I dunno, butt lets not forget that they're also made of bone - which we like to lick, and bury.

I went once. The feelings were beyond what I can explain. I know my own emotions have something to do with it, but it simply is powerful beyond description.

The walk way is inclined and you walk down into the depths of it, along with your memories, and then begin to rise back out of it--if you can.

My family knows few details about the war, but they understand.

They waited silently and I cried for a long time.

Maya Lin who designed it has done work for the company I work for. When I first met her I wanted to thank her for what she had done, I couldn't get the words out. She pressed my hand and lowered her head.

God it feels like it was yesterday.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Rat Guest
    Originally posted by Dave Grubb
    Maya Lin who designed it has done work for the company I work for. When I first met her I wanted to thank her for what she had done, I couldn't get the words out. She pressed my hand and lowered her head.

God it feels like it was yesterday.
    And now I have tears in my eyes...

Me too Ernest, I think I'm going to go sit in a dark corner now.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

One of the most moving events of my life is when I tagged along on a trip to DC that my Mom organized for a number of the students she was teaching a summer camp (Mom's a middle school counselor). The memorials/museums were same-o, same-o, but when I saw my Mom find the name of her high school boyfriend on the wall and start crying, well, it was hard for me to hold back as well...

River Rat is offline Aug 15, 1948 - Jan 1, 2007
    Patriot & Friend
    May He Rest In Peace
    I have a few friends whose names are on that wall. One of them was one of my best friends. When he was killed in Vietnam, I was in college. I felt guilty. Anyway, to make a long story short, my experience at the wall was moving for me, but at the same time somehow remote.

If you travel to Europe, visit some of the WWII American cemetaries in France and Belgium. I cannot remember the name of the small Belgian town that was nearby, but the American cemetary was absolutely beautiful - but there were 30,000 American soldiers buried there. As I walked among the stones, I noticed that the majority of them ranged from 19 to 23. I sat on a bench in the cemetary and reflected on that rather poignant point. Here were America's youth - they had made the ultimate sacrifice - and gave up all they were ever going to be and experience. They did it for their loved ones, their fellow soldiers, but ultimately they did it for us. That is why as long as I served in the Army I have had a deep love and respect for the American soldier. I sat there and cried - 30,000 young American dead lay in that field. Almost unfathomable.
    ''What have Americans to be thankful for? More than any other people on
    the earth, we enjoy complete religious freedom, political freedom,
    social freedom. Our liberties are sacredly safeguarded by the
    Constitution of the United States , 'the most wonderful work ever struck
    off at a given time by the brain and purpose of man.' Yes, we Americans
    of today have been bequeathed a noble heritage. Let us pray that we may
    hand it down unsullied to our children and theirs.''
    B.C. Forbes, 1953