Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Treadmills

Question Treadmills

The lesser half wants a treadmill. Since I know squat about them, I'm looking for advice on quality machines. We see no reason to purchase new as most "used" appear to be seldom used. Craigslist has several listed. Here's one;

http://portland.craigslist.org/spo/180805510.html

Feedback on decent machines would be most welcome.

Lightbulb

I don't know how old you and your wife are... but... as you age you'll wish you had an elliptical. Your joints will say "thank you" but your wallet will say "ouch" if you want a good one.

I've got a full-sized pro-model elliptical LifeFitness that cost $4G. With a quality piece of equipment I'll assure you that you'll be more likely to use it.

Bill
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

tell her to take a hike ....

Wife loves to walk hence her idea of a treadmill. Eliptical sounds good. Here's one on Craigslist.

http://portland.craigslist.org/spo/180492676.html

listen to utah.. at least then you'll have a canned response to throw at her when she stops using it in 6 months.. da cost !!!

The Strait Side of the PNW, unlike Nox's Gay Side
    Go down to Play It Again Sports on MLK, just north of Stark Street

Originally posted by Phillbo
    listen to utah.. at least then you'll have a canned response to throw at her when she stops using it in 6 months.. da cost !!!
    Oh, you give her 6 months... It won't last that long.

Stationary exercise bores me .. If I'm pedaling or walking i have to be moving.

Yep. Never been too much for walking myself. Used to run mile after mile after mile. Running is hard on the knees which is why I bike now.

Thumbs up

Good point. However, try to get out and do those things when it's about 15 degrees F and there's a few feet of snow on the ground.

I've got my elliptical set up with a clear shot of my big plasma screen and right in with the 5.1 sound. Don't bury your workout equipment in a tiny basement room with nothing to look at but a washer and dryer - you'll regret it.

Bill
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

Originally posted by UTAH
    Good point. However, try to get out and do those things when it's about 15 degrees F and there's a few feet of snow on the ground.

I've got my elliptical set up with a clear shot of my big plasma screen and right in with the 5.1 sound. Don't bury your workout equipment in a tiny basement room with nothing to look at but a washer and dryer - you'll regret it.

Bill
    We get a lot of rain, particularly during the winter... Not pleasant walking or riding in the pouring rain, and yes, I know people that do.

We'll have lots of space in our just about complete game room. The skylights really make it bright. As long as there's room for a fridge, my trains, and a pool table, she can have anything she can pay for.

"Dude!... You're missing out!"

Originally posted by UTAH

Bill

Nordic skiing is the bomb, aerobically speaking.

It's also easy on the joints (unless you're jumping or telemarking the steeps)

You can also buy a good quality skisbootsbindingspoles set for $500...

There's nothing like it!!

elliptical is best for the quads and glutes, she'll get a good burn if she actually uses it!

where the deer and the antelope play (no, *not* Texas!)
    However, try to get out and do those things when it's about 15 degrees F and there's a few feet of snow on the ground.
    I started running when we lived in North Dakota.
    My first winter, I decided my rule was 30/30. 30 below and/or 30 mph wind and I would stay inside. Anything less than that and I'd head out.

I got a kick out of the fact that my outer layer would wick my sweat to the outside, where the air would be cold enough it would freeze. On a nice cold morning, I'd always come home with ice crystals on my back, shoulders and earband.
    Colder than that though and no matter how much I warmed up, I just couldn't warm up enough to breathe.
    ~*~ Erin ~*~

Some people do what they they've gotta do to live where they wanna live. Others live where they have to live to be what they want to be. --Baxter Black.

What not enough sex doing it for her that she needs to excerise?
    Fred

"Everyday I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've
    stayed alive."

'Take care of yourself, and each other.'