Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: you texas boys gonna get wet Sunday and Monday

6 plus inches of rain would not be a modest storm here

I thought your superstar governor hardened your grid, with only modest wind he must have missed a spot

Glad you are OK
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Nothing to tell, Dave. It was a minor storm here. My weather station reports max winds of 24 MPH, 6.63" of rain. It's still raining and I have been on generator since early afternoon.
    it's time to change the air in my head

Would you have been flooded at the old house?

Still waiting for Ben to check in.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Not even close to flooding. I have seen others in the old area had massive wind damage.

Ben let me know yesterday that his power was out and he would not be back here until it comes back on.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

I expected that was keeping Ben away

That much rain here in such a short period would lead to nasty flooding. The hills act as funnels and quickly move the rain to the streams and then to the rivers
    Last edited by Dave Grubb; 07-09-2024 at 12:33 PM.

In advance, I fuel up the vehicles so I can use power inverters to power the house. I got into the habit of doing that 35 years ago when I had some huge fish tanks with aerators getting oxygen into the water. If the aerators are down, fish start to die the same day.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

I just heard from Ben. He is still waiting for the power to be restored.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

More important, no a/c.

living in earthquake and fire country I always keep the truck fueled and the camper stocked with food water and propane. The lifeboat is always ready for use
    "The only thing that we learn from torture is the depths of our own moral depravity"

Quote Originally Posted by TriGuy View Post
    living in earthquake and fire country I always keep the truck fueled and the camper stocked with food water and propane. The lifeboat is always ready for use
    I'm a lot more timid about the stuff you guys deal with and what I deal with. We have floods tornadoes and the remnants of hurricanes all the time. But the study cali guys get with mudslides damn breaking earthquakes you name it give me the heebie jeebies
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

Not a good day to be without power:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture .png 
Views:	5 
Size:	91.3 KB 
ID:	40306

Not to mention 90% RH

May you find a cool place my friend!

Added in edit:

The more I read about damage from this storm it appears that the Captain got away easy---thanks to the readiness with the generator. Houston (closer to Conroe) got hammered and power is pretty sketchy in that entire area.

Montgomery County, were Ben lives, currently has 134,838 customers without power.

Making progress----now at 107,294--hang in there Ben---your boy abbott is on it
    Last edited by Dave Grubb; 07-10-2024 at 03:24 PM.

Man, I whine when our power's out. In the Summer we simply open up the house. In the Winter we get the fireplace going.

In '06 (sounding like an old-timer) we lost power for 4 days in the dead of Winter. So, we moved our mattress off the bed, placing it in front of the fireplace. The fireplace is in a central location - which keeps our water pipes from freezing. Wifey and I were younger and considered it a joint romantic effort.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

I have 3 generators. the built in propane Onan 2500 watt in the camper. a gas powered Honda 2000 watt and a gas powered ONAN 6500 watt to power up the entire house. In the mountains where I lived we would be without power for up to 10 days at a time when we had big windstorms like 105 mph up on our ridge top. Nothing like watching 150 foot Doug Firs just get blown over and giant valley oaks get split in half. I got out of the Fire engine and got tossed 20 feet through the air before I landed on my butt.
    "The only thing that we learn from torture is the depths of our own moral depravity"

We were great today with 89 and 49% humidity felt like spring........ In an odd sorta way
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

we were at 22% and 104F today and it will hit 108F tomorrow