Thread: Matador par excellence of the cast iron bull fights

Matador par excellence of the cast iron bull fights

Bare foot Bob----RIP.

Bob McCreadie of Watertown, N.Y., one of the all-time greats in Northeast big block modified racing, died Wednesday after a period of declining health. He was 74.

Affectionately known throughout his distinguished career by his "Barefoot Bob" nickname, McCreadie became a short track cult hero by excelling far-and-wide on a high level while maintaining a humble personality and home-grown racing effort that usually included him towing his car to the track on an open trailer.

His appearance was unmistakable — thin frame, bearded face, glasses and ever-present hat atop his head — and his No. 9 machine was iconic in the modified world. No driver was more respected by fans, fellow drivers and others in the motorsports industry than McCreadie, whose spectacular resume boasted 507 career victories and 29 points championships and success on both dirt and asphalt ovals.
    To watch these guys on the dirt is impressive---they never stop "working" it
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

I had an uncle who was a well-known Dirt Track Racer in Sacramento CA. He built his own cars from the ground up, starting with framework he would map out on his garage floor. We'd often go to his races at nearby dirt tracks.

Uncle Al was in and out of the hospital several times as a consequence of collisions during races. He owned a business we called the Speed Shop, where he customized cars for many years. His mother, my maternal Grandmother, owned a house in Cameron Park, about 100 yards from our house in the same neighborhood. Al built a 3-bay garage there, with work pits, behind Grandma's house.

Al was so into racing and working that he did not marry and move out of the house until he was 45 - and his mother died shortly thereafter.

Uncle Al was who I wanted to be when I grew up. I'm into vehicles because of him. Perhaps I should have paid more attention to his life. For, he bought a big road motorcycle once and, after a nasty accident on it, swore he'd never ride bikes again. Yet, he was still comfortable risking his life in race cars. His widow remains one of our best friends.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

Cool story---thanks
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

You are welcome, Dave.

Bob McCreadie, and other people who risk their lives in the spotlight, earn my respect for showing what Humans can do in adverse settings. It makes it difficult to ignore them or look away. By watching them, we can vicariously imagine ourselves doing the same thing.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead