Thread: The best decision

The best decision

....might be a new career path.

There was a lot of years that Lufthansa was one of only a few that had direct flights to Germany from Philadelphia. I'm told by associates that they were typically very "rigid" in a Germanic sort of way. Those stories, told to me by those who flew with them, causes me to suspect this boy might have a short tenure when he gets back home.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

"rigid" in a Germanic sort of way...
    - Dave

Have dealt with some of their typical dour gov reps in the past. They were polite - but made it clear establishing rapport or tolerating any kind of humor would not occur. Have a good friend who served his LDS mission there. He says one quickly learns not to tease a German, use nicknames, or assume one can skip rigid formal introductions. You either follow their lead or face stoney silence.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

A good friend of mine told me that he commonly tried to stand rather than sit and would go to the back of the plane were there was an exit door and he would stand next to that door to avoid being in the way of the cabin crew or other passengers---he did admit that it had limited duration---the cabin crew would order him back to his seat---just because!
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

16 miles west of the White House, Northern Virginia..
    Heard some great stories of local phone company buying Seimans telecom equipment.. the Germans would come over for the install and training and a major cultural difference would arise.. out telco technicians job was split into two jobs in Germany.. they had an engineer, in a tie analyzing and a helper replacing components.. we had a tech in a T-shirt doing both

My friend, who spent a lot of time in Germany told me that on occasion he would say to his Germain peers----"do I have to kick the German out of you again?"

He said he was lucky, they got the humor----and the underlying message