Thread: A fly under

Cool A fly under

A pilot’s fateful, career-altering flight under Michigan’s Mackinac Bridge.

GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. (WOOD) — Everyone has seen a flyover, right? The fighter jets that are somehow timed up to fly over the stadium right as the national anthem singer finishes the lyrics, “home of the brave.”

But have you ever heard of a military flyunder?

It’s not a technical term. Merriam-Webster doesn’t recognize it as a real word, and the U.S. military would like to pretend it has never happened, but there has been at least one military flyunder on record: when a West Michigan pilot flew his Air Force B-47 Stratojet bomber underneath the Mackinac Bridge.

There are not a lot of details confirmed on the record, but it happened. John Lappo, from Muskegon, lived the tale. And while the Air Force may not have anything to say about it, the late Lappo’s story lives on 65 years after the controversial flight.

I only vaguely remember the B-47. I just sent an email to my SIL and ex B-52 pilot to see what he has to say about it.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

"At his court-martial, he pleaded guilty. The court fined him $50.00 per month for six months and he received a reprimand. Based on this, Lieutenant General Walter Campbell Sweeney, Jr., Commanding General, Eighth Air Force, ordered him permanently removed from flight status."
    - IDIAH

Shoulda done it while alone in a plane.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

That would definitely be a feat of precision flying...The B-47 was an interim design with nuclear capability, but lacking long range reach since it could not be refueled in midair...It filled its deterrence role capably between the slower B-36 with its slow speed but intercontinental range without refueling, and the current B-52 which is so good in its role it will still be mission-capable 100 years after its first flight...The B-47 might have fulfilled a tactical nuclear role, but it was doomed to scrap when the B-58 was deployed...Even the B-58 program was terminated when it was determined that F-105's and F-4's could also achieve tactical nuclear success...My fighter wing maintained at least two F-105's, and later F-4's on 24-hour alert status with predetermined nuclear targets ready to deploy on four minutes notice...We had advance warning capability of alerting our base of an incoming attack estimated at seven minutes......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Quote Originally Posted by Truckman View Post
    That would definitely be a feat of precision flying...The B-47 was an interim design with nuclear capability, but lacking long range reach since it could not be refueled in midair...
    Hate to point it out BUT , Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BI24856.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	54.9 KB 
ID:	40185
    Individual rights are protected only as long as they don't conflict with the desires of the state .

I believe I read in one of the accounts that they added that capability as a modification.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Dave , the " A " model was more of a test bed and DID NOT have air refueling capabilities . The B model which was the production model was designed with A/R capabilities. https://aerospaceweb.org/aircraft/bomber/b47/
    Individual rights are protected only as long as they don't conflict with the desires of the state .

Quote Originally Posted by Independent Voter View Post
    Hate to point it out BUT ,
    Admittedly my technical information sources may be slightly outdated......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Quote Originally Posted by Independent Voter View Post
    Dave , the " A " model was more of a test bed and DID NOT have air refueling capabilities . The B model which was the production model was designed with A/R capabilities. https://aerospaceweb.org/aircraft/bomber/b47/
    Thank you

My SIL's response:

Good story. Totally irresponsible, but on the other hand, people are still talking about it after 65 years.

...sources may be slightly outdated...
    - Ben

As am I. Brother's into planes. I'm into cars.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead