Thread: Hellacious Minimum Wage In California

Hellacious Minimum Wage In California

We've seen recent headlines proclaiming (e.g.,) "California Minimum Wage Mandate Causes Maximum Damage" (MSN).

Yet, how accurate are such claims - seemingly showcasing the Golden State's plummet to Hades?

A recent examination of the issue paints a substantially different picture for us to view. It ties in with California Governor Newsom's favorable review of the issue, deeming the action justifiable and prudent.

Outrage over California’s new fast-food minimum wage is hard to stomach: https://www.msnbc.com/opinion/msnbc-...ary-rcna145877

"For decades, we’ve been sold the narrative whopper about how a prosperous economy that prioritizes the needs of big business over people will leave all of us better off. But it’s just not so. This tale has given us record-breaking inequality and a society in which Americans are, on average, unhappier than their international peers."

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

The vacuum that continues to grow in the skulls of California's leadership should soon cause the state to break off the continent and float off into space...Maybe they can then colonize the moon......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

It will be interesting to see what the results will be---will prices rise and by how much---or do prices stay the same and profits take a hit.

I think they would be wise to look at ways of absorbing this---they already are overpriced.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

16 miles west of the White House, Northern Virginia..
    They make almost that now around here.. School Bus drivers are starting at over $24.00 an hour..

You can't compare the economy of California to anywhere else in the country. They make more money and it cost more money. It's pretty simple.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Grubb View Post
    It will be interesting to see what the results will be---will prices rise and by how much---or do prices stay the same and profits take a hit.

I think they would be wise to look at ways of absorbing this---they already are overpriced.
    Really don't think the burger is going to be a $15.00 thing. Should go up about a dollar or so.

Do think others will challenge the law though since it singles out ony one industry.
    Fred

"Everyday I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've
    stayed alive."

'Take care of yourself, and each other.'

If they get $20/hr.,and the prices go up to match, I'm done tipping.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by FredK View Post
    Really don't think the burger is going to be a $15.00 thing. Should go up about a dollar or so.
    At the gun show a couple of Saturdays ago, we bought lunch at the food truck outside...$12 for a cheeseburger, no drink, no chips...It was a good one, and I was hungry...Otherwise I wouldn't have paid it...But even at Whataburger a cheeseburger with fries and drink is $11...I'm going back to sack lunches from home......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Something missing in all this, and I'd love to see, is an analysis of the net effect this has. Specifically as it relates to social programs. Many of these workers are currently on some form(s) of public assistance----what will be the impact on those costs?
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by FredK View Post
    I agree.

As it sits, McDonald's is currently responding to claims prices have risen to problematic levels. To me, this represents consumers indicating they'll only pay for what they consider worthwhile increases.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

Just to be sure I saw a sign at Chik a fila the other day saying starting wages here in AZ were between $15 and 17.50. Our min wage is now $14.35.
    Fred

"Everyday I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've
    stayed alive."

'Take care of yourself, and each other.'