Thread: Not a bad gig---$8 billion over 25 years!

Not a bad gig---$8 billion over 25 years!

NEW YORK — Sam Bankman-Fried was sentenced to 25 years in prison by a judge on Thursday for stealing $8 billion from customers of the now-bankrupt FTX cryptocurrency exchange he founded, the last step in the former billionaire wunderkind's dramatic downfall.

U.S. District Judge Lewis Kaplan handed down the sentence at a Manhattan court hearing after rejecting Bankman-Fried's claim that FTX customers did not actually lose money and accusing him of lying during his trial testimony. A jury found Bankman-Fried, 32, guilty on Nov. 2 on seven fraud and conspiracy counts stemming from FTX's 2022 collapse in what prosecutors have called one of the biggest financial frauds in U.S. history.

"He knew it was wrong," Kaplan said of Bankman-Fried before handing down the sentence. "He knew it was criminal. He regrets that he made a very bad bet about the likelihood of getting caught. But he is not going to admit a thing, as is his right."
    So----that works out to be a take of $320 million/yr for 25 years---who says crime doesn't pay

To add insult to injury---he got payment in full up front and now gets 25 years of free room and board on top of the $8 billion
    Last edited by Dave Grubb; 03-28-2024 at 11:40 AM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Never trust anyone who feels the need to hyphenate a name......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Quote Originally Posted by Truckman View Post
    Never trust anyone who feels the need to hyphenate a name......Ben
    So saith Ben Truck-Man
    Individual rights are protected only as long as they don't conflict with the desires of the state .

"He regrets that he made a very bad bet about the likelihood of getting caught."
    - U.S. District Judge Lewis Kaplan

You got to know when to hold 'em
    Know when to fold 'em
    Know when to walk away
    And know when to run

Most of us tend to work for our money, rather than taking others money from then.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Grubb View Post
    who says crime doesn't pay
    Not worth spending 25 years with bubba's thumb up your ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    Not worth spending 25 years with bubba's thumb up your ass.
    "Thumb"?
    "The only thing that we learn from torture is the depths of our own moral depravity"

Quote Originally Posted by TriGuy View Post
    "Thumb"?
    Probably prison slang......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

And, no lube in prison.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead