Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bridge collapse...

Bridge collapse...

A real tragedy in Baltimore...The capture on video is hard to watch...
    A vessel by that name was headed from Baltimore to Colombo, Sri Lanka, as its final destination, according to Marine Traffic and Vessel Finder.

The ship was flying under a Singapore flag, WTOP radio station reported, citing Petty Officer Matthew West from the Coast Guard in Baltimore.
    ...Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Wonder what the pilot was doing? Hope the loss of life is small.
    Fred

"Everyday I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've
    stayed alive."

'Take care of yourself, and each other.'

Quote Originally Posted by FredK View Post
    Wonder what the pilot was doing? Hope the loss of life is small.
    Some reports say the ship lost propulsion and was adrift in the current...The pilots are said to be Indian, but I have not read whether they were locals familiar with the watercourse......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Deaths uncertain. Let's hope they're minimal.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

Based on what I have read, there was a harbor pilot on board, which would be the norm.

I also read the ship was dark prior to striking the bridge, lending credibility to a loss of power.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

I'm at the hospital so posting a link is awkward but to my surprise USA Today has seemingly good coverage of this.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by FredK View Post
    Wonder what the pilot was doing?
    Probably trying not to crap his pants.

From the track I saw it appeared even with loss of steerage the ship was still maintaining it's safe track under the bridge. I feel (JMHO) that if they had not gone to full aft and dropped the port anchor the bow would have never changed directions and it would have passed under the bridge. A chance at a glancing blow compared to a direct hit may have been a good gamble.
    Last edited by Phillbo; 03-26-2024 at 05:13 PM.

I have read the ship called a mayday a few minutes before contact. It allowed them to stop traffic at both ends. I believe that all those lost were people patching potholes.

Oddly, one of our Gov candidates (and assorted Conservatives) are saying the crash was due to DEI efforts in gov/entities.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/ba...02b6cef0&ei=12

I don't get it - seriously?

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

DEI? Do I want to know?

Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    DEI? Do I want to know?
    Govspeak...When you become President, you'll have a staff for that......Ben

Diversity, equity, and inclusion (usually abbreviated DEI). I do not know what it amounts to other than a new name for equal opportunity. The main thing that I have seen is that the rinos whine about it endlessly----like the idiot in Hunter's link.

Back to the bridge. One thing that I do not understand is that apparent lack of "bumpers" around the base of the piers. Strangley there is a utility line crosses near the bridge on poles---which all have bumpers

The picture that I am including here is of the Verrazano Narrows between Staten Island and Long Island---and that is typical of the bumpers I have seen on other bridges. What exists below the water I have no idea.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	capture.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	152.7 KB 
ID:	40155

Bumpers may be the next "needed" thing around bridges. I'm sure money played a part when it was built and since. Not necessary until this happens. Then we react and blame someone.
    Fred

"Everyday I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've
    stayed alive."

'Take care of yourself, and each other.'

A look at some of the challenges facing those involved in the recovery effort......Ben

16 miles west of the White House, Northern Virginia..
    The bridge is local news here..

On thing that the vid didn’t make clear is that the four construction workers were taking a break and sitting in their vehicles when the bridge collapsed. The vehicles have been located but are under or blocked by other debris. Part of the channel clearing puzzle is to be able to remove the vehicles in a respectful manner.

Returning cruise ships are docking in Norfolk and Newark with passengers being bussed back to Baltimore.. Norfolk container piers have begun round the clock operations to handle the ships.