Thread: Just sayin

Just sayin

I have mentioned this before, but with the "revelation" that the SCOTUS has no ethics code or standard of its members I find my own compliance laughable. Every year (now over 10 years) I am required to fill out a State ethics form. I believe that it is a requirement of all public officials and employees in the State of PA.

It seems highly inconsistent that a relative nobody is held to a defined code of ethics while a Supreme Court Justice can quietly convert his "bench" into a personal "charitable foundation"
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Each of my degrees required completion of an ethnics series. And, once I was licensed, I'm required to complete an ethics class every year. Law Enforcement required a yearly "refresh" too.

But, judges deciding our legal and civil rights? Nah, they don't need their ethics training refreshed. They were selected because it's not an issue for them.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

Clearly this is one of those areas that what is good for goose is good for the gander is waived for the gander
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

SCOTUS enacted a code of ethics last November.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    SCOTUS enacted a code of ethics last November.
    That might be arguable---at least in substance if nothing else:

Experts in legal ethics gave the document measured approval.

“This is a small but significant step in the right direction,” said Amanda Frost, a law professor at the University of Virginia. But she said she was troubled by the court’s failure to acknowledge past transgressions and the lack of a mechanism to enforce the new restrictions.

Daniel Epps, a law professor at Washington University in St. Louis, said the new code reflected, if nothing else, a recognition that the court had to act. “It’s good that they did this,” he said. “It’s good that they feel some obligation to respond to public criticism and act like they care.”

But, he added, “in terms of the content, it doesn’t seem to move the ball much.”

Although an ethics code binds judges in the lower federal courts, those rules have never governed the Supreme Court because of its special constitutional status. In a letter to lawmakers this spring, Chief Justice John G. Roberts Jr. said the court “takes guidance” from the ethics code for other federal judges and shared a statement signed by all nine justices that insisted that their existing rules were sufficient.

The main difference between the new code and the one that applies to other federal judges is in its treatment of recusal. In commentary the court issued along with the code, the justices said they must be wary of disqualifying themselves from cases because — unlike judges on lower courts — they cannot be replaced when they do.

"U.S. Supreme Court justices recused themselves 180 times during the term that ended in June, according to the transparency group Fix the Court.

Most of the recusals—176—were at the certiorari stage, according to a Fix the Court press release. The vast majority of the recusals—117—were because of “previous work” by Justice Elena Kagan (she was solicitor general) and Justice Sonia Sotomayor (she was a federal appeals court judge).

Thirty-three of the recusals were due to stock ownership in companies held by Chief Justice John G. Roberts Jr. and Justices Stephen G. Breyer and Samuel Al Alito Jr., the press release says. Two of those recusals, in decided cases, didn’t affect the outcome. The other 31 recusals were in cert-stage cases."
    - ABA Journal

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

Go to the Twitter feed of the person Dave cited in his comments. You will see where she stands on a lot of things and it certainly is enlightening as to why she would be of The opinion she espoused.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.