Thread: Happy Saint Patrick's Day---the day everyone is Irish

Cool Happy Saint Patrick's Day---the day everyone is Irish

We are having our annual Saint Patrick's Day dinner with 10 guests. One son will join us but our daughter is working today and our SIL left for LA yesterday.
    I am making the traditional corned beef and cabbage with potatoes. I have 2 flat cut and two points for a total of about 14 lbs of corned beef, plus 7 lbs of cabbage. I like left overs

My Mennonite grocery store had all the fixins on sale. Cabbage was $.19/lb, flat cuts were $4.99 and points $3.79/lb. Last week I got 10 lbs of Yukon Golds for $6.00.

An observation of spring---which is clearly on the way This morning the deer are again into the zoomies---seldom do I see that in the winter---they are far more focused on eating than to waste that much energy, but with the warming weather they are more flamboyant I get great enjoyment in watching their antics
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

16 miles west of the White House, Northern Virginia..
    Sounds good.. today is corned beef and cabbage also..

But tomorrow is also a big day.. that’s when the leftover corned beef goes on serious markdown.. several will hopefully end up in our freezer….

Party on..

And raise a toast to Madelyn Bridget Connor.. Slainte Granny!

I will be doing the same on the post holiday mark down

And I shall raise a Guinness for your Granny (also on sale at my Mennonite grocery )

The priest that had mass this morning is Irish and he began the sermon with the old saying that "there are only two kinds of people in this world, those who are Irish and those that wish they were Irish"

He followed that with another Irish joke:

Father Murphy walks into a pub in Donegal, and says to the first man he meets, "Do you want to go to heaven?"

The man said, "I do Father."

The priest said, "Then stand over there against the wall." Then the priest asked the second man, "Do you want to got to heaven?"

"Certainly, Father," was the man's reply. "Then stand over there against the wall," said the priest.

Then Father Murphy walked up to O'Toole and said, "Do you want to go to heaven?"

O'Toole said, "No, I don't Father."

The priest said, "I don't believe this. You mean to tell me that when you die you don't want to go to heaven?"

O'Toole said, "Oh, when I die, yes. I thought you were getting a group together to go right now."
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

on this day in 1966 I came out of a 3 day coma which was caused by a car crossing the centerline to swing right into their driveway. I was on a bike and went through the windshield 24 external stitches from my hairline just left of my left eye and corner of my mouth ending just before hitting my Jugular vein. The hospital tried serving me green eggs, green toast, green has browns yuck. Had my family bring me a Corned Beef Reuben from Zucky's Deli in Wilshire and 5th in Santa Monica
    "The only thing that we learn from torture is the depths of our own moral depravity"

All went well with the dinner, cooking comfort food is far less demanding than gourmet. The recommended portion of corned beef is 1/2 lb per guest----that must include a lot of little people! That number was closer to a pound (uncooked).

The good news-----there are left overs

Quote Originally Posted by TriGuy View Post
    Had my family bring me a Corned Beef Reuben...
    A good move. One of my fav sandwiches (Der Wienerschnitzel does good ones).

You are a lucky man. When bicycles and autos meet things typically don't go well.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead