Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The church of what is yours is mine

Thumbs down The church of what is yours is mine

The bishop of bling

Bishop Lamor Whitehead has long been known for living a lavish lifestyle, but his methods have been deemed questionable for quite some time. The Brooklyn preacher was recently found guilty of wire fraud, attempted extortion, and lying to the FBI.

The ruling was made on Monday (March 11) in federal court, AP reports. The preacher, full name Lamor Miller-Whitehead, had been on trial in Manhattan since last February.

He reportedly pillaged a parishioner’s retirement savings for $90,000 under the claim that he would help her find a home and invest the money into real estate. The prosecution claims the money instead went to the clothing and jewelry he is often seen sporting.
    I'm sure the good bishop will repent before Easter
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Grubb View Post
    I'm sure the good bishop will repent before Easter
    If not this year, maybe next......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

16 miles west of the White House, Northern Virginia..
    Unfortunately.. a large percentage of religious activities are just money making ventures.. some of the largest “pay to pray” sects are some of the most avid fundraisers.. new meaning to fundamentalists..

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    ...a large percentage of religious activities are just money making ventures.
    It's the opposite of what Christian religion is all about.

“Jesus entered the temple courts and drove out all who were buying and selling there. He overturned the tables of the money changers and the benches of those selling doves. ‘It is written,’ he said to them, ‘‘My house will be called a house of prayer, but you are making it a den of robbers’” (Matthew 21:12-13)

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

Quote Originally Posted by UTAH View Post
    It's the opposite of what Christian religion is all about.

Hunter
    Agree..

the biggest fraud of the bunch is Joel Osteen
    "The only thing that we learn from torture is the depths of our own moral depravity"

Quote Originally Posted by TriGuy View Post
    the biggest fraud of the bunch is Joel Osteen
    I have not made a case study of him or his well-shorn flock, but I will say it didn't take long for him or his daddy to get accustomed to the lap of luxury......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Preachers like this "Bishop" and Osteen preach "prosperity theology", the contention that Jesus wants them to be wealthy and to enjoy their wealth.
    There is one in Atlanta named Celfro Dollar who managed to attract broad attention when he told his flock to ramp up their giving because he wanted to buy a private jet for 65 million.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Can’t forget Gene Scott.. Scott would tell you to change the channel and stop watching if you were not donating.. In the mid 70s Gene Scott was “the” show to watch after Saturday Night Live…. Life before the internet or cable TV..

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    Can’t forget Gene Scott.. Scott would tell you to change the channel and stop watching if you were not donating.. In the mid 70s Gene Scott was “the” show to watch after Saturday Night Live…. Life before the internet or cable TV..
    was he the guy in the log chair covered in bear skin saying he needed your money to fight the IRS?
    "The only thing that we learn from torture is the depths of our own moral depravity"

There is one in Atlanta named Celfro Dollar who managed to attract broad attention when he told his flock to ramp up their giving because he wanted to buy a private jet for 65 million.
    The aptly surnamed Rev is still at it......Ben

Quote Originally Posted by Truckman View Post
    The aptly surnamed Rev is still at it......Ben
    Corrected spelling of preacher dollar's name: Creflo Dollar. Thank you Ben

Corrected spelling of preacher dollar's name: Creflo Dollar. Thank you Ben
    I've always thought Cashflow would make a more fitting first name for him......Ben

Quote Originally Posted by TriGuy View Post
    was he the guy in the log chair covered in bear skin saying he needed your money to fight the IRS?
    He was having a cued wire the IRS , I think.. he refused to provide records..
    he was a SoCal local..

Wow, Creflo Augustus Dollar, Jr., perfect televangelist name.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead