Thread: The times, they are changing

The times, they are changing

The following is taken from an email this morning from my home county. I offer this only as a point of possible interest and will not make any editorial comment.

Just in time for Women's History Month, Montgomery County is proud to launch a new commission focused on the concerns and needs of girls and individuals who identify as women.

The Montgomery County Commission for Women is committed to representing the interests of women of all races, ages, ethnic and social backgrounds, religious convictions, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability/ability, and social circumstances.

Its members will also advocate for the lives and well-being of women by building strong collaborations, sharing available resources, and educating and empowering women and girls throughout our County.

Interested in being part of these efforts? Apply today! All applications must be received by March 28.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Sounds impressive - yet a lack of specifics has me asking: What will they do for women?

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

I can't answer that---I was struck by the "construction" of the statement---I had to wonder if we have created a new position to monitor all county communications to assure compliance prior to making them public. I wonder if it would be possible to cover all the required bases with one catchall phrase like---"and all others" ----kind of a modern day version of et al.

I find I struggle with some of these initiatives. Recently there has been an item in the news about a teenager who is non binary. The articles first explain the teen is non binary, then they go on to refer to this teenager as "they" and frankly that is confusing when I am reading about this. I keep wanting to know who "they" is only to remind myself that "they" is a singular he or she (kind of)

I do acknowledge that my possible confusion by all of that is far less of a burden than the confusion of that teenager in not knowing if they should stand, sit, or piss into the wind. I am grateful that I never had that struggle and will commit to not do anything to further complicate that young persons trip through life.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

I suppose that will be another needless burden on the taxpayers.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    I suppose that will be another needless burden on the taxpayers.
    I suspect that it ready has. Our school district has a two senior staff members that are full time Title IX administrators to assure we are in full compliance. In fairness, I have to say that many of the programs under Title IX are not frivolous.

16 miles west of the White House, Northern Virginia..
    Title IX did create some funny happenings.. local high schools would list state athletic championships on the exterior corner of the building, often the gym.. oh, Boys Championships.. when title IX became law, several of the boys titles when the girls titles were added.. one of our locals, West Springfield High School (one of 28 high schools in the county/district) went all girls on their wall (only so much room) was pretty funny..

For women who have yet to figure out they are women, and for those who realize they are women but don't understand why, and those who are not women but would like to become women as long as the government will pay for it since it is, after all, their birthright......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...