Thread: Flight deck FUBAR

Flight deck FUBAR

RUN!!!!

"The only thing that we learn from torture is the depths of our own moral depravity"

16 miles west of the White House, Northern Virginia..
    The Flight deck is one of the most dangerous work locations in the developed world..

FYI.. most maintenance personal do a temporary assignment to the “line division” where they work on the flight line and learn aircraft handling and flight deck safety.. they wear blue shirts , a large percentage of the crew (ships company and air wing) personal are blue shirt qualified and are begrudgingly called upon in emergencies... the flight deck is operated by the Yellow Shirts.. the ABs, Aviation Boatswains, Bo’suns.. our pictured runner appears to be a yellow shirt.. the White helmet signifies a supervisor or quality assurance..

BB stackers.. Ordinancemen wear red..

No weapons expert am I. Hence a question: Would a dropped missile be armed? I assume (perhaps wrongly) that arming is a separate task.

Ben?

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

Quote Originally Posted by UTAH View Post
    I assume (perhaps wrongly) that arming is a separate task.

Ben?
    It is, but be mindful that my memories of procedures and technologies are now well over 50 years old (the AIM-9 has been part of the inventory since 1956 and in development since shortly after the advent of the jet engine)...I'm not familiar with that particular flight deck incident, and neither photo shows an installed arming key with it's red streamer attached, therefore it may have already been pre-armed...But before the warhead can detonate it would have to reach a certain post launch speed (probably at least Mach 2) and a certain preset altitude would have to be attained...That's about as close as my memory can take us......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Understood. Thank you, Ben.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

16 miles west of the White House, Northern Virginia..
    My memories are 25 years old.. ordinance was loaded with “the safety “ on.. the safety is a large wire/ small metal rod inserted through a hole that hangs out a foot out 18 inches.. at the last minute, while aircraft is under control of a linesman (marshaled), yellow shirt, the ordie, red shirt will go under the wings and into the bomb bay (safely “pinned” open) and remove (yank out) the safety, and then “unpin” the bomb bay (so that the linesman can direct the pilot to close them) ..

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    My memories are 25 years old..
    Kids!
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis