Thread: Concert Review: The Rolling Stones

Concert Review: The Rolling Stones

Wifey and I flew down to Las Vegas to attend the Rolling Stones concert at Allegiant Stadium, May 11th. I went in skeptical, pretty sure I'd see old rockers going through the motions of their old act. Instead, I saw The Stones put on a stellar performance that is unmatched in comparison to others I've seen over the years.

Jagger was extraordinarily dynamic - his vocals as strong as ever. Each band member performed a solo guitar lead (including a bass) dispersed sporadically through the show. And, they didn't just play. It was apparent they enjoyed doing what we paid to see them do.

The Stones are all millionaires who could simply stop performing at all. For me, it says something that they don't do so. I was left with the feeling they got as much out of the performance as we did.

Typically, the sound quality of bands in a stadium setting is awful - not with these guys. Hundreds of high watt speakers (Klipsch horns & traditional cones) placed around the stadium were surprisingly crisp and clear. Distortion was heard only when the band purposefully introduced it.

The stage was part of a huge Viva Vision (e.g., Fremont Street Experience) display about 100 yards wide. That gave incredible definition and light control to the techs displaying the visuals. It would also be much more comfortable for the band, as new electronic displays don't put out the heat incandescent bulbs do.

The highlight of the show, for me, was when the band performed Like A Rolling Stone by Bob Dylan. It was one of the first rock songs I heard as a teen - and I identified with it. To hear the song performed by one of the world's top acts was incredibly satisfying.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

I believe AARP is helping sponser the tour. https://www.aarp.org/rollingstones2024/
    Fred

"Everyday I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've
    stayed alive."

'Take care of yourself, and each other.'

Yeah, saw the AARP people at a concession stand there. Fitting, as the audience members around me were some of the oldest people I've seen at a rock concert.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead