Thread: Very realistic...

Very realistic...

I've written of the Kalinin K-7 before, but I did not know of this modern film...Below is the English version of the first video's caption...
    K-7 is an experimental multi-purpose (options - bomber, landing and heavy passenger) giant aircraft of the Kharkov design bureau of K. A. Kalinin.
    First flight on August 21, 1933, crashed on November 21, 1933.
    It was developed in the early 1930s using original design solutions, new technologies and materials. It underwent flight tests in 1933, however, due to identified design flaws, as well as the crash of the first manufactured aircraft, the tests could not be completed.
    In October 2008, for the filming of the film “Dau” on the territory of the Kharkov International Airport, a life-size K-7 set (made of wood and plastic) was built. In the film, the future academician Landau flies to Kharkov on it.
    On the second video, change your auto-translate setting to English if you're an unejoomicated Texan like me, and can't make head nor tail out of Rooskie talk......Ben

The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Damn they built some beast back then.... trying to overcome poor aerodynamics with horse power....

Cool V-12 water cooled engines.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

The movie the replica was built for, "Dau", was released in 2019...I suppose production budgets (said to be $10,000,000 worth of rubles not counting the vodka, caviar and borscht) don't mean much in Mother Russia as long as the Kremlin is happy...300,000 extras were hired, the shooting set covered 2 square miles and 500 pieces of furniture were designed and built...My command of the Russian language is a bit deficient, but I believe this is the entire movie...Caution: It's over 6 hours long, so stock up on popcorn......Ben

The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

Quote Originally Posted by UTAH View Post
    Cool V-12 water cooled engines.

Hunter
    The P-51D had a 12 cylinder V engine which was water cooled. It was made by Packard and Rolls Royce.

As for the "featured aircraft"---not to be negative but that thing just might have been even less responsive than a blimp. I would think a turn would have required extensive planning
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Grubb View Post
    As for the "featured aircraft"---not to be negative but that thing just might have been even less responsive than a blimp. I would think a turn would have required extensive planning
    Not to mention a large tank of vodka to keep the crew fueled...Just to steady the nerves you know......Ben

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Grubb View Post
    The amount of vodka consumed in that country is astounding----I'm not sure how most of them can even stay standing
    A lot of them seem to lose their balance near 12th story windows...Probably the lack of oxygen at that altitude......Ben

Do Russians really drink as much as people think they do?: https://www.rbth.com/why_russia/2017...they-do_746405

In Short: YES

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

Wow Dave you're a Andrew Bourdain of travel. You have quite an amazing history of travel in fact so much so that you can one up anybody here on anything they've ever done.
    OPINION....a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

Dammit. I tried to be a travel contender... I literally need to get out more. Last time we traveled we came home with Covid. Did I mention Life is not fair?

Hunter

Dammit. I tried to be a travel contender... I literally need to get out more.
    I'm traveling to the gun show this weekend...With the price of diesel I was glad to be offered a ride both ways...It's a five mile trip......Ben

Ahhh... something a Boomer would say, "I worked for them."

Hunter

Well, if facts are offensive, I'm euphemistically - but not literally - screwed.

The Silent Generation, preceding Boomers, just doesn't have as good of a ring to it.

Hunter

The Silent Generation, preceding Boomers, just doesn't have as good of a ring to it.

Hunter
    History is made, and learned from, by all who were there, not just those with whom we happen to agree......Ben