Thread: How do they know?

Question How do they know?

Without instrumentation, balloons, satellites, or any of the other myriad of devices used by meteorologist to predict the weather---animals seem to do well at predicting major changes well in advance of any obvious signs. In my observations none seem better at this than are deer.

Last night I told my wife the deer were telling me that bad weather is on the way. Yesterday morning the herd showed up a little late but then stayed in the field feeding for probably twice the normal stay. Yesterday afternoon they were back at about 3, at least an hour ahead of the normal time. They remained there feeding, with obvious purpose, until dark. Their normal late day feeding is about 30 minutes, not 2 hours.

The grass they are feeding on in the field is the highest protein feed they have. I don't have any winter wheat out this year and so their only reasonable option (without a long trip) is browse----a very low energy option.

The weather forecast this morning from the "real" weather forecasters: Snow starting tonight and continuing into tomorrow with 8" of accumulation.

That will make feeding on grass difficult-----but they knew that
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Right before severe weather hits, flocks of birds stop flying and congregate together, as if their numbers ensure safety (a distinct possibility).

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

Today is a repeat of yesterday, they are here now loading up
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

I think the change in barometric pressure coms into play somehow.

I have thought that also---but clearly there is more involved. Looking at the recent barometric pressures at 0800:

2/13 29.53
    2/12 29.94
    2/11 29.97
    2/10 29.91

2/11 was the first day of change in the deer and it was higher than the prior day, as was the 12th being higher than the 10th

Here is what they seemed to know:Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capa 21324.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	503.4 KB 
ID:	40084