Thread: February 3, 1959 - The Day The Music Died

February 3, 1959 - The Day The Music Died

A historic day, for all the worst reasons.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Day_the_Music_Died

"Marķa Elena Holly learned of her husband's death via a television news report. A widow after only six months of marriage, she suffered a miscarriage shortly after, reportedly due to "psychological trauma". Holly's mother, on hearing the news on the radio at home in Lubbock, Texas, screamed and collapsed.

Despite the tragedy, the "Winter Dance Party" tour continued. Fifteen-year-old Bobby Vee was given the task of filling in for Holly at the next scheduled performance in Moorhead, in part because he "knew all the words to all the songs". Jennings and Allsup carried on for two more weeks, with Jennings taking Holly's place as lead singer."

Although I was 1 year old at the time, I've heard so much about it that it feels as though I lived through it.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

16 miles west of the White House, Northern Virginia..
    The actual crash site is between Forest City Iowa and I-35.. noticed the crash site while looking at google maps and planning a route home from Winnebago factory..

About a half mile off of the paved road is a wide parking area in the already wide gravel road.. a mowed trail between corn fields goes th x500 ft to the crash site/memorial..

If one is ever driving I-35 by Crystal Lake in far northern Iowa.. it’s not far off of the interstate..

Good info.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead