Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bought a kayak trailer

Bought a kayak trailer

I got a good deal on a used Malone Kayak Trailer
    There is a short in the main harness in the tongue that will take about an hour to fix but otherwise its in perfect shape. No more hauling them up to the RV roof
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20240129_165046~2.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	562.7 KB 
ID:	40069
    "The only thing that we learn from torture is the depths of our own moral depravity"

Looks light yet strong. Probably won't decrease tow vehicle performance at all.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

Looks good. Only thing I would question is tires. Need a second one or get a larger size built to speed range you normally travel at.
    Fred

"Everyday I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've
    stayed alive."

'Take care of yourself, and each other.'

Quote Originally Posted by TriGuy View Post
    I got a good deal on a used Malone Kayak Trailer
    There is a short in the main harness in the tongue that will take about an hour to fix but otherwise its in perfect shape. No more hauling them up to the RV roof

Name:	20240129_165046~2.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	562.7 KB 
ID:	40069
    Looks like you are also missing a rear tie down.
    Individual rights are protected only as long as they don't conflict with the desires of the state .

Quote Originally Posted by UTAH View Post
    Looks light yet strong. Probably won't decrease tow vehicle performance at all.

Hunter
    His F350 won't even know it's there.
    The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke

16 miles west of the White House, Northern Virginia..
    Looks like a fine addition to the toy box.. remember to keep those tiny tires at max PSI..

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    Looks like a fine addition to the toy box.. remember to keep those tiny tires at max PSI..
    Yup----and repack the wheel bearings at a much reduced interval. The revolutions they make to one revolution on the truck could easily be 2:1.

I built a canoe (2) trailer and put 15" tires on it, not because of weight but simply to reduce rotation speed and total revolutions.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Hmmm... we're getting into size comparisons. Que Freud.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

Quote Originally Posted by UTAH View Post
    Hmmm... we're getting into size comparisons. Que Freud.

Hunter
    I just sling mine over my shoulder and let the flatbed support the weight...

Oh wait!...We were talking about canoes...My bad......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

My all-time fav:

Pisser on bridge: "The water is cold."
    Pissing friend: "And deep."

Hunter

Malone Kayak trailers are rated the top of the line for durability and quality in the Kayak Trailer world
    "The only thing that we learn from torture is the depths of our own moral depravity"

Yep, checks out per search function. Our major legit retailers here stand behind 'em.

Hunter

Well That was fun, well maybe not but it was educational.

Had to replace all the wiring on the used Kayak trailer I purchased. Cracked insulation, pinched and shorting in multiple locations. new 4pin with a y and 25 feet of wire was $17, add a couple more for a 7 pin to 4 pin adaptor. Then I found out that most of the bulbs were burnt out $20. That was when I noticed that none of the trailer marker lights worked and that none of the marker lights on my camper were working either. Blown 30a fuse in the under hood F350 power center. Its a square fuse, had to go buy a few of those (always carry a spare).

I till have to tidy up some wiring with zip ties to the trailer frame but that will take all of 5 minutes
    But now both the Camper and the Kayak Trailer are ready to roll. Next stop is the DMV to get the trailer inspected and plated

Name:	rewired Kayak trailer 1.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	404.1 KB 
ID:	40076Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20240203_152038.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	309.2 KB 
ID:	40077

Nice inexpensive fix. Yet, the skills demonstrated are of greater value.

Hunter

My timing for working on the trailer yesterday was perfect. It started raining about an hour after I finished and it's still dumping. The surrounding hills have gotten 5" of rain and here in two just over 2". We are under a flood watch for the area( I'm on high ground) with winds gusting to 60 mph in the hills and 30 in town. It's supposed to rain all week.