Thread: A small oops

Exclamation A small oops

Yesterday I opened the back of the Explorer from the house, when I went out I saw that I had hit a double ----both the Explorer and the Lincoln were waiting with mouths agape

On another note, we are in the midst of another snow event and it has been so long since I needed 4-wheel drive on the Explorer I had to get the book out The good news is that it still works
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Wifey and I had another, Auto Ownership Responsibility Test.

She loves her Merc GLC 2.0 AWD. She's had it for 2 years and her window washer fluid finally ran dry. She soon realized she had no idea where the tank for it is, or how to open the hood to get to it. It was time for me to sit back, let her wallow in the moment, and come out of it an adept owner/driver (with my ass still intact). She's wickedly smart - just not into automotive stuff.

We made sure she got the "smart" AWD system wherein it decides when AWD is needed and when it is not. Not me, my Jeep 4X4 is traditional (much tougher) manual initiation.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

Our MB was the same---and it worked very well. The Lincoln also is AWD and selects it's need on it's own.

It is kind of funny when I think about it---I am now perfectly content to allow such decisions up to the car---but I fought off automatic hubs in my trucks for years. Both my 1999 and 2007 Super Duties are manual hubs.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Yeah, when the auto hubs first came out you'd have to drive in reverse to get the hubs to fully unlock.

'Course, the really traditional old-timers will install (if they don't already have) manually engaged hubs too.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

There was another problem with the automatic hubs---which to my displeasure I had on a company truck---they would not engage unless the wheels were turning. I learned quickly to put it in 4-wheel drive before I got stuck!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Grubb View Post
    I learned quickly to put it in 4-wheel drive before I got stuck!
    Smart. Attempts to get unstruck ain't always successful. Besides, if your drive system turfs while you're trying to get unstuck, you be screwed (and still just as stuck).

Hunter

My 2011 F350 has auto hubs but they also have the manual engage option if the vacuum line gets damaged.
    "The only thing that we learn from torture is the depths of our own moral depravity"

Quote Originally Posted by TriGuy View Post
    ..manual engage option if the vacuum line gets damaged.
    I'm betting a good portion of Gen X and X+ owners don't know that.

Hunter