Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: NRA: NY AG files corruption charge against Wayne

Interestingly, jurors in his trial will be able to set amounts he'll be required to pay back to the NRA.
    PICK ME JUDGE----PICK ME
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Yep, I'm thinking NRA members (& his enemies) will volunteer for jury duty.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

This from one of my news aggregators:

NRA Trial Begins
    Opening arguments begin today in a long-anticipated civil trial against the National Rifle Association, the largest gun-rights lobby in the US. The trial opens after longtime NRA leader Wayne LaPierre, a subject of the lawsuit, resigned Friday citing health reasons.

New York Attorney General Letitia James launched an investigation into the NRA's leadership in 2019 amid allegations of corruption and financial fraud. The lawsuit alleges LaPierre and others used millions of dollars to fund personal expenses and seeks to bar the defendants from leading New York nonprofits in addition to financial penalties. One defendant agreed to pay $100K and testify against his codefendants as part of a settlement announced Saturday.

The NRA, which was founded after the Civil War as a marksmanship club, was chartered in New York (its headquarters are in Virginia) and has seen its membership decline from 6 million to just over 4 million over five years. Current leaders have committed to reform.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty” ---Sir Winston Churchill
    "Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all." ---John W. Gardner
    “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” ---C. S. Lewis

Odd that membership numbers have dropped. For, I've assumed these are times that concerned 2A people are energized.

Hunter
    I don't care if it hurts. I want to have control. I want a perfect body. I want a perfect soul. - Creep by Radiohead

I'm not that surprised---simply look at the members here that are members there only because we became life members before le pew showed up. I think many of the 2nd "crusaders" do so with their mouths, not their wallets

A more telling figure would be the "new" and the "non-renewed".

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Grubb View Post
    I'm not that surprised---
    Neither am I...I quit giving more than 20 years ago when it dawned on me that they were spending a great deal of our money in fund-raising gimmicks and "lobbying" (read bribing)...I was already an Endowment Member and a charter member of the Golden Eagles subgroup...I haven't sent a check in over 20 years, maybe longer...I'll see what new leadership emerges, and whether LaPierre is disowned before taking pen in hand again......Ben
    The future is forged on the anvil of history...The interpreter of history wields the hammer... - Unknown author...

16 miles west of the White House, Northern Virginia..
    Note: I live a mile from the NRA.. across the ball fields..

About 20 years ago I worked with a woman who was married to an NRA staffer (executive department??).. she would get pizzed at him and then come into work and rant about him (in ways that one doesn’t rant about their spouse).. she would carry on about long hours he spent on programs planning.. they had to show accomplishments yet still show a need for donations. Donations was part of everything they planned..

Oh.. a good number of people made very nice livings by always remembering that the target was fundraising..

"The only thing that we learn from torture is the depths of our own moral depravity"

Hmmm... my friends, it looks like the rest of us are in the wrong business.

Hunter

From the link:

The lawsuit also targets the NRA as a whole. The organization has operated as a nonprofit charitable corporation in New York since 1871. Its assets are required by law to be used in a way that serves the interests of its membership and advances its charitable mission.

In the last few years, the NRA has been considerably weaker, with less influence in the political sphere and fewer members. Membership fell to 4.2 million from almost 6 million five years ago, The New York Times reported. Membership dues dropped by $14 million from 2021 to 2022, according to an audit filed as part of the lawsuit.
    The le pew stench grows worse by the day

This from today's NYT:

His testimony has been complicated by those health issues. Last week, his lawyer, P. Kent Correll, asked that Mr. LaPierre’s testimony be limited, or even interrupted, if he was feeling unwell. A recent filing from his doctor said that Mr. LaPierre was suffering from Lyme disease and “cognitive decline with difficulty performing daily tasks” and that he had “a family history of Alzheimer’s disease.”

Mr. LaPierre has been sitting in the front row of the trial as the proceedings have unfolded. Opening arguments started Jan. 8 before Justice Joel M. Cohen in State Supreme Court in Manhattan, and the prosecution’s case is expected to conclude next week.

Mr. LaPierre is well acquainted with most of the witnesses. After decades of attacks from gun control groups, Mr. LaPierre and his management are facing criticism in this trial from a procession of former colleagues who filled the highest ranks of the N.R.A. If nothing else, they establish the disarray and dissent within the organization.

Christopher Cox, his former top deputy, said he “was disgusted” after learning about the extent of Mr. LaPierre’s spending on suits (it was $250,00) at a Zegna boutique in Beverly Hills. Mr. Cox was pushed out after a falling-out with his former boss.

Yeah, note I did not say coyote meat is tasty.

After being raised eating assorted dead wild animals, Wifey will now only eat meat major USA restaurants serve.

Hunter

Holy crap
    Assistant Attorney General Jonathan Conley also directed LaPierre to clothing purchases made by Ackerman McQueen, the NRA's advertising and public relations firm at the time, totaling more than $274,000.
    LaPierre confirmed that he did buy clothing at Zegna, a high-end clothing store in Beverly Hills, California. But he insisted that he did so only at the behest of the officials at Ackerman McQueen, who "hated" how he dressed and encouraged him to buy new clothes that would look good on television.
    “Mr. McQueen used to literally beat me up to get wardrobe at this store," LaPierre said. "I did all the television for the NRA."
    LaPierre said he spent more than $29,000 at Zegna in March 2014 and another $39,000 there in September 2015

plus over $19,000 for helicopter rides to NASCAR events to avoid sitting in traffic

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...fic-rcna136132
    "The only thing that we learn from torture is the depths of our own moral depravity"

"If the jurors find LaPierre, Phillips or Frazer liable, they will recommend the amount of money that each would have to repay the NRA."
    - NBC

And, State Supreme Court Judge Joel Cohen, has the final say over monetary damages and remedies,

I gave up trying to predict which legal actions will ultimately prevail in such things. However, either way, he's out - and the org can move on.

Hunter

However, either way, he's out - and the org can move on.
    I'm not so sure----that rot was there for a long long time and it goes far deeper than these clowns

The board of directors was complicit in this, they, at very least, looked the other way. The first thing that has to happen is a completely new board.